Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 7640

HP ENCY 7640 All in one printer scanner, worked great since i purchased it in December 2014. All of a sudden, the touchscreen will not respond to touch. THerefore, i cannot copy, scan, fax, etc.. nothing. Can still print from my computer, but anythign i need to do manually on my printer through the touchscreen, will not work. I can see the screen just fine. there is no scratches or dings.. it is perfectly fine to the eye. Anyone know what could be going on or if there is anything i can do mysefl to help get the screen back working to touch?

thank yoU!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @jenburg101,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the touch screen issue that you're experiencing on your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer. There are a few different factors that can cause your touchscreen not to respond. These factors include power issues, defective touchscreen, or a programming conflict within your printer. To resolve this display issue can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check Power:

Please plug your HP Envy directly into a wall outlet for power. Power strips and surge protectors can cause your printer to lack power and not respond properly. Once your printer is plugged directly into the wall outlet, please test your touchscreen again to verify if the issue is now resolved.

Should the issue persist please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. With your printer ON disconnect the power cable from the rear of your printer
  2. Leave the power cable disconnected for 1 minute
  3. After 1 minute plug your power cable back in (make sure it's going direct to a wall outlet)
  4. The printer should start back up on its own
  5. Once the printer returns to the ready state please test the display to verify if the issue is resolved.

Normally I would also have you run a Firmware Update on your printer to ensure that the programming version in your product is the most recent. At this time there are currently no downloadable versions of the Firmware Updates. The only updates can be run through the touchscreen on your printer. Unfortunately, if your touchscreen is unresponsive you will not be able to install any current updates.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This solution fixed my touchscreen issues. Thank you

HP Recommended

WOW!  Who would have thought using an extension cord would be the problem?  Thank you for saving me a trip to the repair shop!

HP Recommended

Thanks soo   much!!  😄

HP Recommended

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  THE 1 MINUTE POWER RESET RESTORED THE OPERATION OF THE TOUCHSCREEN OF MY HP ENVY 7645.  WHAT A RELIEF!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.