Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a Envy 110 e-all-in-one D411a - currently, can print all test pages from my iMac (OSX El Capitan - v 10.11.6), however printer shows as being idle when I try to print documents or emails etc.

Have loaded the latest software and drivers, but no success.

Any guidence appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @DT_68, welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand you are unable to print from your iMac running El Capitan to your Envy 110. Generally speaking, idle indicates the printer is ready and awaiting a print job. Given the efforts you've already made, I recommend resetting your Printing System, repairing the Disk Permissions and then re-adding the printer (instructions to follow). If this resolves the issue please click the Accept as Solution button below; otherwise, let me know and I will do all I can to help. 

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon, and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions

• Click on your desktop so that next to the Apple icon it says Finder, then click on Go (you will see this next to Finder after File, Edit and View).
  • Under Go, click on Applications.
  • In Applications select Utilities.
  • In the Utilities folder you will see Disk Utility, double-click this icon to open the Disk Utilities.  
  • Click on your Hard drive, then click on First Aid. Click Okay to allow it to run. 

Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and add the printer back.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' select the printer driver. As you can see from the image below, the AirPrint driver will be auto selected by default. You will need to choose your printer driver instead. Using the HP driver will help isolate the issue if the issue persists.  

I hope this helps. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @DT_68, welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand you are unable to print from your iMac running El Capitan to your Envy 110. Generally speaking, idle indicates the printer is ready and awaiting a print job. Given the efforts you've already made, I recommend resetting your Printing System, repairing the Disk Permissions and then re-adding the printer (instructions to follow). If this resolves the issue please click the Accept as Solution button below; otherwise, let me know and I will do all I can to help. 

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon, and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions

• Click on your desktop so that next to the Apple icon it says Finder, then click on Go (you will see this next to Finder after File, Edit and View).
  • Under Go, click on Applications.
  • In Applications select Utilities.
  • In the Utilities folder you will see Disk Utility, double-click this icon to open the Disk Utilities.  
  • Click on your Hard drive, then click on First Aid. Click Okay to allow it to run. 

Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and add the printer back.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' select the printer driver. As you can see from the image below, the AirPrint driver will be auto selected by default. You will need to choose your printer driver instead. Using the HP driver will help isolate the issue if the issue persists.  

I hope this helps. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Many thanks indeed, this seems to have worked.

Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi, can anybody assist please?

I am currently unable to use the scan facility on this device. I cannot scan to my computer (suggests I install software - which i have done) and cant scan from computer as it cannot 'see' a scanner?

Additionally, I cant print from my apple devices using air print...

Just all seesm to have gone a bit haywire!

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.