Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640 Printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Having followed the HP Support instructions to install the recent update for HP Envy 7640 printer, it now refuses to connect via wireless (which it did without a problem for 18 months before this update), only works via USB. I have followed every troubleshooting hint I can find, also uninstalled and re-installed the printer more times than I can count. The HP Support systems simply tells me to go away as it is now out of warranty. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there@Gesmondo

Thanks for replying with the information.

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have done a great job.

Let's try these simple steps:

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer :

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step 2:

Download and reinstall HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers :Click here

Please complete the steps and let me know the outcome, cheers:)

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@Gesmondo

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I see that you have the wireless connectivity issue on Envy 7640 printer is that right?

I would like to help.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

May I know the exact issue ?

Are you getting any error message?

Meanwhile, Here are a few other steps you can try: Click here

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks for trying to help.

The link takes me to the Doctor, which I have done countless times, but have just tried again. The Doctor tells me that my software is not fully installed, then downloads and installs software.

When it gets to 'connect', I select 'connect over wireless'. It then goes to Network Device, then tells me it has been unsuccessful. We then go in an endless, endless loop....

If I go to Printers & Settings in Settings, the laptop tells me that the Driver is unavailable.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer many times over the last few days, clearing caches, etc, etc. It refuses to connect wirelessly; will only work over USB which is no use to me.

The annoying thing is it worked absolutely perfectly for the last 18 months, only causing problems when I followed the instruction to install the update.

Suggestions welcome!

HP Recommended

Hi there@Gesmondo

Thanks for replying with the information.

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have done a great job.

Let's try these simple steps:

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer :

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step 2:

Download and reinstall HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers :Click here

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Amazing! That worked. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Gesmondo

I thank you for the reply.

Glad that the issue got fixed. You can reach out to HP forum for any issues on your HP products.

Cheers 🙂

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks over 3 hours and I found your fix.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.