05-22-2013 11:06 AM
@AlanProctor, As stated on the first page the Error states that one or more DLLs (libraries) needed for the Update utility to run are missing.
trattner made a very helpful post on how to resolve this issue.
1. Download a current version of the FULL drivers+applications (single HUGE file) for your printer;
2. Start running the file downloaded in the previous step, until it offers the option to install the software (other options might be there, such as "read the Readme file");
3. Do NOT click on "Install", but rather simply exit the Installer (cancel, exit, ...) - the reason for step 2. above was to just have the downloaded file extract in an orderly manner all the files that it (and YOU) would use for its (and YOUR) further processings;
4. Locate on on your drive the installation folder created in step 2., and -- under it - the folder "setup\hpupdate" (the whole thing should be located somewhere under the TMP or TEMP folder - just run a Search/Find for it, using your search engine of choice);
5. IF (and only if) you have located the HPUPDATE folder in the previous step (you will, normally), continue:
6. Under Windows Control Panel, start the "Add/Remove Programs" applet, and -- in the list of applications it presents -- look for "HP Update";
7. Remove the HP Update application as you would any other application (the uninstall process might end with some errors for files not found - this is normal in this case, as we already know that some files are either missing, or mistakenly pointed at, as stated earlier in this text);
8. Now go to the setup\hpupdate folder located in step 5. above, and run (double-click on) the only *.msi fie found within it (this will reinstall the version downloaded of the HP Update utility);
9. When Installation (previous step) is completed, run the newly installed HP-Update utility, to find further updates both for itself (you might not have had the most recent version) and for any other HP application that might reside on your drives.
10. This completes the process; good luck