Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a

Attempted to connect home printer (HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a ) to new work laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G2).  Conneted USB cable, and driver dowloand failed.  Went to HP Website, found specific printer driver and attempted install -- however, install failed with following error message -- "Extraction Failed -- Can not open output file". I then downloaded HP Support Assistant to help fix issue -- it identified same issue, missing driver and attempted to download and install -- and guess what  -- same error message "Extraction Failed -- Can not open output file"  There is no way to contact HP Support and problem solve this file extraction issue.  So there is no way to use the computer.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @cmccl, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are having an issue installing the printer software on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Have you tried installing software on a different PC does it work?

Please try the steps recommended below.

1) Delete the %temp% files, and skip the ones that can not be deleted
2) Re-download the file (make sure that the file size listed on the download matches/approximate downloaded file size.)
3) Make sure all anti-virus and security software is disabled during the install by an administrator
4) When opening the download instead of double clicking, right click and run as admin
5) If the same issue occurs try downloading from a different computer

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.