Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro CM1415fns
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My scanning software seems to loose connection with the printer every couple of months and requires me to completely re-install the drivers.  That's just the background to the issue today however.

To try to resolve my software problem, I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor but all it could recommend was a complete deletion and re-install of the drivers from HP.  I agreeded and it (not me) opened a page at HP for downloading my specific printer's print and scan drivers.  I downloaded the complete installation file, but the file never appeared in the downloads folder.  I checked my BitDefender Antivirus logs just in case and found a warning that it had detected a Trojan in the file downloaded from HP.  

Its possible something else infected the file - but I highly doubt it.  Nothing else is showing an infection, the file was blocked before ever being executed, and nothing else in my logs indicates other infections.  I run a very tight configuration, don't click on unknown links, run regular scans, etc, etc... since I work in the information security field I try to keep things very clean on my home computers too.  It's possible BitDefender registered a false positive but I doubt that too.  I'm posting this with the hope someone can help validate what I found or offer an explanation. (see attached screenshot, showing file details).Virus reported in HP Installer.png

Thanks

Fabian

GSEC, GSNA, CISSP.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Exact file name and location?
HP Recommended

The full location & filename was in the screenshot, on the right side, but for clarity here it is again:

C:\HP_LaserJet_Professional_CM1410_Series\InstallerContent\Help\CSIHelp.exe

and the infection reported by BitDefender is:

Gen:Trojan.Heur.JP.Yq3@amF0enji

Cheers

HP Recommended
Well that the file on your computer that got infected. Where is the file on the HP web site to download and test???
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.