Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart7520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Have yet to see any updates since Mavericks and have to use a workaround in order to Scan a document.  Does HP actually support Apple software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I will clarify ion this matter...

The Relatse Date refer to the date the software was first released, not the date last updated, the software getting updated on general bases with any OS version and regardless to any OS release when needed.. additionally while windwos updates are provided via hp.com, many HP Updates are provided via Apple Software Update due to Apple's policy..

Regardless, see below the exact file you refer to, it was updated 3 days ago.

1.JPG

(See ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51727/mp-125168-3/)

Firmware updates were not given for OS X via hp.com due to Mac OS X users volume (which is still a lot lower than Windows), however those due provided for the Mac uses via the printer itself, which regularry connectes to the internet and get updates, if you'll print a Printer Status Report, you will probably see a later version then the one available online, as long as your printer connected to the network and you selected to perform auto updates..

Hope that clarifies,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should pdate the printer software, the firmware should not affect a such.

install HP Easy Scan below, it will be installed within the Applications folder:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-easy-scan-1_...

Next Install the latest software by following HP Easy Start below:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Next ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
Click Store on the top menu bar, click Reload Page, click Update All if any updated are available.

Regards,
Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi, thanks for the reply but I dont really think it answers the question, the point i am making is that the last software update for a Mac was back in 2014 when Mavericks was the OS, if I go into the latest software it just indicates that the software made for MavericksOS is good for El Capitan as well as Sierra, I downloaded that at the time and since then have this intermittent problem with the Icon Scan, it cant find the printer though when I print from the Icon it prints OK!

I can access the printer via System Preferences and can Scan from there but it is a work around and has been from that Software update back in 2014.  Since there have been 2 x Firmware updates for Windows I pose the question, why not MacOS

HP Recommended

Hi,

I will clarify ion this matter...

The Relatse Date refer to the date the software was first released, not the date last updated, the software getting updated on general bases with any OS version and regardless to any OS release when needed.. additionally while windwos updates are provided via hp.com, many HP Updates are provided via Apple Software Update due to Apple's policy..

Regardless, see below the exact file you refer to, it was updated 3 days ago.

1.JPG

(See ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51727/mp-125168-3/)

Firmware updates were not given for OS X via hp.com due to Mac OS X users volume (which is still a lot lower than Windows), however those due provided for the Mac uses via the printer itself, which regularry connectes to the internet and get updates, if you'll print a Printer Status Report, you will probably see a later version then the one available online, as long as your printer connected to the network and you selected to perform auto updates..

Hope that clarifies,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thanks for that, all makes sense but the reason I posed the question in the first place is that despite me having the up to date software I still cannot scan from the Icon in the dock nor from HP Utility. When i click on Scan to Computer the Enable Scan to Computer is greyed out  and then it advises me that the HP software required for Scan to Computer could no be located. I can however scan by going into System Prefeences select Printers and scan from there. I use an iMac

HP Recommended

im getting a red flag on a message about updating firmware. i dont understand why becuase i have no printers or anything else hooked/linked to my computer can anybody help me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.