Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P2055dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I update the firmware on my LaserJet P2055dn from Windows 10 64-bit on a USB connection?

I can't find the firmware update utility on the HP site.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi rborland,

I think your printer has problem with driver, because your printer screen message “49 Err xxx Turn off then turn on”.

So, you need uninstall, then reinstall driver for your printer. You try install with HP Universal Driver (UPD) version 6.0.0.18849, it ready at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/UPD/

First you search and download “upd-pcl6-x64-6.0.0.18849.exe” file.

Then you need to uninstall the existing drivers for the printer completely from Windows, try follow these steps:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer if present or turn off your printer.
  • Go to Control panel/Programs and feature, select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel/Devices and printer, select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left "Start" button on desktop, type "device manager" in the search box and tap "Device Manager" on the menu.
  • Once in "Device manager", click on the "View" tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the "Device manager" list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device uninstall popup, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "Printer queue" and "Imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to “Drivers” and remove any entry there as well.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Run “upd-pcl-x64-6.0.0.18849.exe” and select “USB mode plug and play”
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted.
  • Then turn on printer and wait some minutes to windows know your printer.
  • Go “Devices and Printers”, if you only see “HP Laserjet P2055d UPD PCL6” is finish.

I glad to help you.

Note: I am not worker of HP.

dungleviet

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I see the following file on third-party websites:

ljp2055_FW_Update_20131112_SIGNED.exe

Is that what I need for a firmware upgrade?

I am reluctant to proceed blindly in case I brick my favourite printer.

HP Recommended

I find that my printer control panel does not have an RFU option so I assume that this means that the firmware in not upgradeable.

My current firmware is dated 20091203.

Absent any input from resident experts it looks like I just have to live with constant "49 ERR 46C082B" problems 😞

HP Recommended

To continue this discussion with myself ... 🙂

I was pleased to establish that in the absence of a firmware update for Windows 10 one can simply use any of the updates provided for earlier Windows versions, back to XP, not entirely intuitively obvious. I succesfully applied an earlier update which ignored the absence of an RFU setting in my existing 20091203 firmware and installed this option in the 20141201 firmware.

I then installed the current UPD for Wimdows 10.

I no longer get the 49 ERR but MS Word hangs after each document printed so the struggle continues.

But apparently none of this is of any interest in this forum.

HP Recommended

Hi rborland,

I think your printer has problem with driver, because your printer screen message “49 Err xxx Turn off then turn on”.

So, you need uninstall, then reinstall driver for your printer. You try install with HP Universal Driver (UPD) version 6.0.0.18849, it ready at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/UPD/

First you search and download “upd-pcl6-x64-6.0.0.18849.exe” file.

Then you need to uninstall the existing drivers for the printer completely from Windows, try follow these steps:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer if present or turn off your printer.
  • Go to Control panel/Programs and feature, select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel/Devices and printer, select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left "Start" button on desktop, type "device manager" in the search box and tap "Device Manager" on the menu.
  • Once in "Device manager", click on the "View" tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the "Device manager" list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device uninstall popup, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "Printer queue" and "Imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to “Drivers” and remove any entry there as well.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Run “upd-pcl-x64-6.0.0.18849.exe” and select “USB mode plug and play”
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted.
  • Then turn on printer and wait some minutes to windows know your printer.
  • Go “Devices and Printers”, if you only see “HP Laserjet P2055d UPD PCL6” is finish.

I glad to help you.

Note: I am not worker of HP.

dungleviet

HP Recommended

Hello dungleviet,

Thank you for your very comprehensive and helpful response. I am very pleased to report that your instructions resolved the problems I was experiencing.

I think the critical steps were removing ALL the old printers and drivers. Previously I had all sorts of devices and queues for Fax and MS One Note and Nitro  PDF and others.

I appreciate your advice very much.

Rob Borland

HP Recommended

Hi!

I tried to follow given instructions, I installed newer driver, turned off the computer and printer, and so on. Finally the fault is that printer is offline, and cannot be found on device list while I search for new devices. Still though, when I go to device control panel --> printers, my printers is listed and can be found there, but it is offline. Printing queue fills up of unprinted documents, but device does not print. As it is offline. 

When I diagnose the problem, reason is USB 2, which does not connect properly with USB 3 port.

So, I am confused, altogether I used five hours on three days for this and cannot make any progress anymore.

Cheers,
Teemu from Finland

HP Recommended

Hi tmyller,

You wrote: "...I installed newer driver,... When I diagnose the problem, reason is USB 2, which does not connect properly with USB 3 port..."

When saw "49 Err xxxxxxx Turn off then on", my solution is install it with older driver (UPD) and connect with PC via USB 2.0 port.

Note: Newer UPD on HP.com site is version 6.4.1.22169 now, I think it no work with some old printers model.

So, you try uninstall then reinstall with older UPD (Ex: UPD for PCL6 version 6.0.0.18449) and connect your printer with your PC via USB 2.0 (you do full and exactly all steps in my previous post).

All version UPD reading at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/UPD/

I am not woker of HP.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

dungleviet

HP Recommended
Thank you for your proper and exact instructions. I met next problem as I followed the steps. I could not uninstall the 6.4.1-version. In phase of running the running. System said that it cannot remove this newest 6.4.1-version as it in use. I cannot see version 6.0.0 listed at all while starting printing, even though it has been installed.

The main problem seems to be that newest version just cannot be uninstalled and replaced with older one.
HP Recommended

Hi tmyller,

"... System said that it cannot remove this newest 6.4.1-version as it in use...".

So, you need turn off your printer and restart PC, then repeat all steps in my previous post (fully and exactly).

"...I cannot see version 6.0.0 listed at all while starting printing, even though it has been installed..."

If you didnt uninstall newer driver (ver 6.4.1), you cant reinstall old driver (ver 6.0.0).

Good luck!

dungleviet

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.