Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Prem C410
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Server Connection Error

There was a problem connecting to the server.  Pree "Retry" to connect again, or "OK" to exit.

I press "OK" to exit and the "Quick Forms" screen appears on screen.  The up/down arrows work to scroll up and down, but that is it.

No other button will perform the function desired:  "Home", "Cancel", "Setup", etc.

I powered down the router, unplugged the printer and restarted both.  I tried using HP Print and Scan Doctor with no luck.  (Unable to connect...)  I upgraded the software, too.

I am afraid my only other alternative is to uninstall the printer and reinstall.

Please advise.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@karens0312

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer - C410 and get a Server Connection Error. You press "OK" to exit and the "Quick Forms" screen appears on the screen.  The up/down arrows work to scroll up and down. I read that no other buttons will perform the function desired:  "Home", "Cancel", "Setup", etc. Even the HP Print and Scan Doctor wasn't able to resolve the issue.  Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Is the printer able to make a copy?
  • Does this happen only while scanning or printing or both?
  • Is the printer able to print and copy if connected via USB cable to your PC?  

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If issue persists then please perform the below steps:

- press Configuration (wrench icon button)

- select Preferences

- select Product Updates

- accept the update; you will see:

• "Please wait"
  • "Updating..." (a LED started flashing above the card reader)
  • the printer restarts

Hope this information helps. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi -

First, here are the answers to the questions which you need to assist me better:

The printer makes copies from my PC, but NOT from the printer display or buttons.

The problem exists at the printer, but not from my PC.

I cannot find a USB cable to attempt printing and copying with it.

The steps beginning with "Disconnect the power cable..." I have performed multiple times and I always get the same results.  The results I described in my original inquiry.

The steps you also provide "press Configuration (wrench icon button)"  CANNOT be performed because (as I mentioned in my original inquiry) the display and buttons are not functioning.

The problem I described still exists as mentioned.  What do you suggest next?

Here are the results of a troubleshooter feature associated with my operating system:

Devices and Printers Publisher details

Issues found
Problem with printerProblem with printer
There might be problems with HP Photosmart Prem C410 series. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot. Detected Detected
Potential issues that were checked
Printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series cannot be contacted over the networkPrinter HP Photosmart Prem C410 series cannot be contacted over the network
Network problems might be preventing the printer from printing. Issue not present
Printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not shared with the homegroupPrinter HP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not shared with the homegroup
If a printer isn't shared on the homegroup, other computers might not be able to use the printer. Issue not present
Printer paper is low or emptyPrinter paper is low or empty
When the printer paper is low or empty, you might not be able to print. Issue not present
Printer toner is low or emptyPrinter toner is low or empty
When the printer toner is low or empty, documents might appear faint or not print at all. Issue not present
Printer has a paper jamPrinter has a paper jam
A paper jam is preventing the printer from operating normally. Issue not present
Printer driver requires updatePrinter driver requires update
An outdated printer driver can prevent printing. Issue not present
Plug and Play printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series has encountered a driver problemPlug and Play printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series has encountered a driver problem
Errors with a printer driver may prevent the printer from printing. Issue not present
Printer is turned offPrinter is turned off
The printer needs to be turned on in order to print. Issue not present
A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printingA print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing
When a print job is caught in the print queue, newly submitted printing jobs can't be completed properly. Issue not present
The Print Spooler service is experiencing problemsThe Print Spooler service is experiencing problems
Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing. Issue not present
Print Spooler service isn't runningPrint Spooler service isn't running
When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer. Issue not present
Print Spooler service isn’t starting automaticallyPrint Spooler service isn’t starting automatically
When this service isn’t started, you won’t be able to see or use your printers. Issue not present
HP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not the default printerHP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not the default printer
Applications may not be printing to printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series because it is not the default printer. Issue not present

Issues found Detection details

Problem with printer Detected Detected

There might be problems with HP Photosmart Prem C410 series. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot.

Potential issues that were checked Detection details

6 Printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series cannot be contacted over the network Issue not present

Network problems might be preventing the printer from printing.

Printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not shared with the homegroup Issue not present

If a printer isn't shared on the homegroup, other computers might not be able to use the printer.

Printer paper is low or empty Issue not present

When the printer paper is low or empty, you might not be able to print.

Printer toner is low or empty Issue not present

When the printer toner is low or empty, documents might appear faint or not print at all.

Printer has a paper jam Issue not present

A paper jam is preventing the printer from operating normally.

Printer driver requires update Issue not present

An outdated printer driver can prevent printing.

Plug and Play printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series has encountered a driver problem Issue not present

Errors with a printer driver may prevent the printer from printing.

Printer is turned off Issue not present

The printer needs to be turned on in order to print.

A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing Issue not present

When a print job is caught in the print queue, newly submitted printing jobs can't be completed properly.

The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems Issue not present

Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.

Print Spooler service isn't running Issue not present

When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer.

Print Spooler service isn’t starting automatically Issue not present

When this service isn’t started, you won’t be able to see or use your printers.

HP Photosmart Prem C410 series is not the default printer Issue not present

Applications may not be printing to printer HP Photosmart Prem C410 series because it is not the default printer.

Detection details Expand

Collection information
Windows Version: 10.0
Architecture: x64
Time: Monday, April 10, 2017 3:21:58 PM

Publisher details Expand

Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version: 3.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version: 3.0
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Hardware and Devices
Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
Package Version: 4.0
Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Printer
Find and fix problems with printing.
USB
Troubleshoot problems with a USB device
Package Version: 1.0

HP Recommended

@karens0312

Thank you for the detailed information. 

If the printer buttons are not working then it might be a hardware issue with the printer. I suggest you to perform a reset on the printer. I have sent you a private message to reset the printer. 

Hopefully, the reset should help. If not, you need to reachout to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP printer.

All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.