Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M402dn
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

This is either a bug report or a request.  If I run my HP LaserJet Pro M402dn via Airprint, I can only get a generic driver.  This means that I cannot print envelopes because DL paper size is not available via the generic print.  In MS Word I can see the evelope (DL is supported) as it should print but it prints off centre in A4 mode.

Will a proper driver ever be written?  After all this is supposed to be an AirPrint printer.  Or will this problem be fixed with 10.12 (Sierra)?

Perhaps someone could tell me how to contact someone who can tell me if my question(s) cannot be answered here.

Thanks.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is now fixed.  I may have been sent this file from you in ealier discussions:

hp-printer-essentials-SE-4_7_0.pkg  ( https://support.apple.com/kb/DL907?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US ).  

But I never installed it because it had a 2015 date on it.  My fault as I thought it was old.  It is an Apple thing.

I ran that installer and a printer-specific drive appeared and I can now print envelopes over airprint.

I know this really has nothing to do with you, but perhaps this file should be included with the Mac installation routines together with HP Easy Start?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers,

Bill

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are talking about two different companies here. I always say: for the benefits of users, you and me, hardware and software vendors need to talk to each other.

BUT, yes but, would you like to tell you secrete to other vendors ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

A Full Feature Driver is available for your printer.

Download and follow HP Easy Start to get the HP Essencial Software for your printer:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8109054&swItemId=mp_166618_2&swEnvOid=418...

Once completing the installation, be sure to select the printer model within the Use drop-down menu reather the default AirPrint option.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomi,

Thanks.  This does not solve the problem.  

I have access to a full-feature driver when the printer is plugged into my Mac at the moment.  In fact I ran the same software when I initially installed my printer.  On USB, works a treat.  There is just no full-feature driver on AirPrint.  I was also offered no driver to install when the printer was plugged into my AirPort Extreme.

I didn't really mind that because as far as I could see then, all that meant was that I was unable to see the amount of toner in the cartridge.  I could live with that.  However, I find that I can't print DL size envelopes because the gneric driver doesn't recognise DL paper size.  From the preview in Word, it seems to think it is A5!  There is a weird work around I won't bother you with, but I can't do much with it on envelopes.  

Therefore either the generic driver needs to be fixed or a full-featured AirPrint driver needs to be written.  Either way, this is all very disappointing but typical of the software industry.  You don't know it's broken until someone tells you it is.

Do you think this will be fixed in Sierra?

Cheers,

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

To clarify, there are either HP driver (available for both USB or Network) or Apple's AirPrint.

As you have the driver installed on your Mac , it can be used for a network printer too.

From the Control Panel select Pritners & Scanners and click the plus sign, on the shown window select the HP printer listed as Bonjour kind.

Click the Use drop down menu and select the pritner model, do not keep the AirPrint option to use the full feature HP driver.

If the printer model isn't listed within the used drop down menu, press on Select Printer Software, then search and local the HP Laserjet M402 driver from the list, it offers the exact same capabilities as offered by the USB printer added to your Mac.

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I have done that procedure many times, and there lies the problem.  There is no HP LaserJet Pro M402dn on my list.  There at lots of HP LaserJet drivers, lots of them but not one for my printer.    Which takes me back to my original question:  Where is the driver?

Maybe the HP installer routine is to blame?

Cheers,

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is now fixed.  I may have been sent this file from you in ealier discussions:

hp-printer-essentials-SE-4_7_0.pkg  ( https://support.apple.com/kb/DL907?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US ).  

But I never installed it because it had a 2015 date on it.  My fault as I thought it was old.  It is an Apple thing.

I ran that installer and a printer-specific drive appeared and I can now print envelopes over airprint.

I know this really has nothing to do with you, but perhaps this file should be included with the Mac installation routines together with HP Easy Start?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers,

Bill

HP Recommended

Actually the link I posted does not download the HP Essentials package I have shown.  Sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.