Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @AncientPrinter,

Yes, the Windows 10 operating system, I believe has changed the parallel support available, from what I have been reading online. You could contact Microsoft, to see if they have any input on this issue, Microsoft.

You could try the Parallel to USB cable and plug and play the printer, to see if Windows installs a generic driver. Such as the Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver.

Thank you.

Many thanks. I have followed up on Microsoft forum and it would seem I should use a resident driver. Perhaps that is what is already happening. I have an ongoing exchange with them. 

Once I resolve the need to mess with Device Manager on every boot up, I will investigate your second paragraph. If I can get a USB PLug and Play success that will give me much more flexibility if the current PC (with parallel port dies)! Just one thing - I believe Plug and Play can be enabled/disabled - pleaser tell me where?

HP Recommended

Hi @AncientPrinter,

Windows should automatically plug and play a USB device. Some services, such as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Event Log, and Plug and Play, cannot be stopped by using the Services snap-in window or the net stop command. These services are required for the operating system to function properly.

Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @AncientPrinter,

Windows should automatically plug and play a USB device. Some services, such as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Event Log, and Plug and Play, cannot be stopped by using the Services snap-in window or the net stop command. These services are required for the operating system to function properly.

Thank you.

I have now tried this! Every the optimist! Yes the Device Manager recognises the old printer by name at one of the USBs. I the downloaded: http://www.driverscape.com/download/hp-deskjet-pcl3-class-driver

Next in Device Manager, I cricked on Install driver, I first selected "Let windows...." and got a negative message. Then I tried "Browse ...." Ditto: negative message. So the question is Is the problem with Win 10 or the driver  that I downloaded?

Any further ideas? At least Win 10 sees the printer by name!

HP Recommended

Hi @AncientPrinter,

I would try the preinstalled Officejet PCL3 Class Driver.

If the USB Printing Support or the printer name is now listed in the Device Manager, you can right click and update the driver. Select the Officejet PCL3 Class Driver.

You can also run the Add Printer from Devices and Printers.

Select the USB port, if you meant you are now using the adapter.

Then select HP and the Officejet PCL3 Class Driver.

Hope that works for you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @AncientPrinter,

If the USB Printing Support or the printer name is now listed in the Device Manager, you can right click and update the driver. Select the Officejet PCL3 Class Driver.

Hope that works for you.

HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @AncientPrinter,

Hope that works for you.

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @AncientPrinter,

Hope that works for you.

Hi - sorry to say today the Printer doesn't appear by name - can't think how it did before in Device Manager! - I've plugged and unplugged USB (to parallel cable) several times, get the musical beep but can't identify where the Device Manager is seeing it - IF it is. - Looks like the end of the road - BUT the printer does still work if I "uninstall - install" the driver on LPT1
Any further comments would be much appreciated!
Donne

HP Recommended

Hi- I have had the same issue and could find no drivers to suit hp1120c on a 64bit version of windows 10. I tried all of the steps you mention so far but then discovered that if i looked in control panel>hardware and sound>devices and printers> and selected one of the drivers I had attempted to install and opened it, then looked in 'see whats printing' then  clicked the printer heading and looked at the properties. Under the advanced heading there is the option to change driver for the installed printer and the hp1120c driver is listed here. After repeatedly trying and failing to install the driver here and then trying another windows update then a reboot the 64 bit driver finally installed correctly here. the computer then detected the 1120c as being present (finally!). then printer wouldnt print. I then unplugged and reconnected the prnter via the usb socket and the computer detected it and installed an hp1120c (copy1) which prints perfectly now. Its been a frustrating few days but there is a solution!

HP Recommended

Hi. Many thanks!

In fact I have found a workable solution some weeks back. Very simple - at least in my case!

Switch on printer - mine is an old HP 1150C office pro

1. Open Control Panel

2. Open Device manager

3. Go to LPT1 - disable - in warning sub window that opens say "yes"

4. Go back to LPT1 and right click "enable"

6. Close both Device manger and control panel

Unfortunately this has to be done everyday on booting up.

I also disabled all WIN 10 updates - why would I need them? - because that is what appears to have caused the problem in the first place

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.