Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 37 (2,814 Views)

HP 5740 Printer - Alignment Fail

Product Name: HP5740
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista

I recently bought this all-in-one printer/scanner/etc. and I keep getting an "alignment recommended" message everytime I try to print something. It gives me the options of either 1)align, 2)do not align or 3) cancel print. If I click on "align" I get  "the alignment process failed" message.

If I go on the printer assistant page and try to do either of the following: "Print quality diagnostics page", "Align ink cartridges" , "Clean ink cartridges" or "Clean printer" , I keep getting a "failed" message.

How do I correct this very annoying problem ?

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 37 (2,782 Views)

Re: HP 5740 Printer - Alignment Fail

Hey @Fortier

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. Robot Happy

I understand you're up against a recurring alignment failure with your HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to help. 

For starters, I recommend you perform a 'hard reset':

1. Ensure your printer is powered on.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
5. Press the Power button to turn on the printer (if it doesn't automatically reboot).

Next, with the printer powered on, remove all of the ink cartridges. Power the printer off with the power button and reboot immediately. Now, with the printer on, there should be a prompt to insert ink cartridges. Install the full set of ink as directed with the printer on. If it's working correctly it will ask you to do the alignments. Try it as normal. If it fails again, check your inbox, I've sent you the instructions to reset your printer via private message. 

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post. If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP.
Top Student
Message 3 of 37 (2,732 Views)

I am also having the same issue with my HP Officejet 5740 running on a Windows OS.

I have had this printer a few months and this is the first time I've had to replace the cartridge since my purchase. I've not been able to have a successful alignment since replacing the cartridge.

I've cleaned the ink cartridges numerous times and I've tried the hard reset as outlined in the response to an earlier post.  Nothing. Still aligning unsuccessfully.

This is my 3rd HP Officejet all-in-one printer. I was hesitant replace it my last one with another HP but thought maybe trying another model would be better.  Looks like the HP brand of printers may not be for me. They only last a few years with very moderate home use.

If I don't get a resolve on this issue, I will have to return (hopefully I can get a refund or at least an exchange).

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 37 (2,711 Views)

Hi @SharonAi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

I do see that you've completed all of the standard hardware troubleshooting steps for this issue. I have private messaged you the instructions on how to provide a more intensive printer reset*. 

*Note that completing this step will reset your printer's wireless configuration, ePrint address, and other customized printer settings. If you have created a custom @hpeprint.com address it will be permanently erased. For more information on custom ePrint addresses, click here

If it doesn't work out, I recommend you reach out to our tech support team. You can click on the following link to initiate a case: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Once you fill out the online form to create your case you can choose from different direct contact methods.

Best of luck, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP.
Top Student
Message 5 of 37 (2,704 Views)

Solution worked. Thanks for your help.

Fortier

Top Student
Message 6 of 37 (2,704 Views)

Try the solution from E-roq belpow. It worked perfectly for my problem.

Student
Message 7 of 37 (2,568 Views)

I have also recently begun to have the alignment problem, which did not resolve after doing the reset as described.

Must I have a working color ink cartridge?  It has dried up, and I only want to use black and white at this time, so am wondering if that might be causing the problem?

Please send me the next step reset so I can try that.

Thank you --

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 37 (2,561 Views)

Hey @shebagirl

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. Robot Happy

I see that you're also encountering an alignment error when using your HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to help. 

For this type of printer (two cartridge system) you can get by without either black or tricolour, but for long term usage I'd advise installing the colour as that type of ink is sometimes used in automated printer servicing features. 

With respect to the ongoing error, I have private messaged you steps to reset your printer. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Have a great day!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP.
Student
Message 9 of 37 (2,443 Views)

I have the same problem and have done all of the hardware resets with no luck. Please send instructions for more thorough reboot/reset. Thanks, Otis.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 37 (2,384 Views)

I have changed several ink cartridges since I bought the HP Officejet 5740.  It will not align and only half the words print and that is blotchy.  I have unplugged the back of the computer and taken out the ink cartridges and still prints the same.  Any help to correct this alignment would be appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation