Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Desket 1510
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have the original installation disk and it will not install the necessary desktop software to scan or copy document and there is no desktop icon installed.  I have also downloaded the software and drivers from HP along with the trouble shooting software and get the same result. I am not able to copy or scan any documents. I am using Windows Vista 32 bit. The printer shows up in the programs along with the HP update and uninstall. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @KennethG1,

Was the C drive set as the default?

You may have to restore the printer back to where you didn't have issues with the CD/DVD disc drive or update the drivers in the Device Manager.

I have provided some more steps that you can try to be able to install the full software.

Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer:

Click Start and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msiexec / unregister, and then click OK.

Click Start and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msiexec / regserver, and then click OK.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software before reinstalling the software again.  How to use MSCONFIG.  Click on the Startup tab and click Disable all.

I believe the issue is that the files aren't being located properly from the temp folder.

Follow these steps to copy the 7z....folder to the desktop and run the installation from there.

Go to Start, Run, type in %temp%. Clear out the temp folders.

Run the downloaded driver again, when the installation window opens cancel the installation.

Go back into the %temp% folder and copy the folder created for the printer. 7z..... (right click and select copy)

Close that window and on the desktop, right click and paste the 7z.... folder to the desktop.

Then reinstall the latest drivers from that folder. 

If you are still having issues, try another computer to see if you have the same results.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Good Morning @KennethG1,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you are unable to copy or scan. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

If you can't copy or scan, it may be a hardware issue.

Try resetting the printer to see if it may help: A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or F...

Try making a copy again.

You can click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs
Up" for my efforts. Please let me know how this goes. Have a
great day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I think it is a software problem since when I use the original disks or the HP downloads there is no software for me to initiate the copy or scan feature. It will only load the "basic" software to print.

Thanking you in advance,

Kenneth

HP Recommended

Hi @KennethG1,

The printer should be able to copy standalone without any software installed on the computer.

Here is a document for copying from the printer's control panel: Copying Documents. Page 5 of the manual shows the copy button: HP Deskjet 1510 series.

If you are able to copy and not scan then it would be software related.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Let me know the results.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, I used the HP Scan and Print Doctor and I was able to copy from the printer button. The print doctor stated unable to find the HP scan application software.  It said to reinstall the software which I have done five times, but it will only load the basic drivers. I downloaded the software HP webpack  DJ 1510 and I have the original disc, and both will only load the basic drivers. Does  the  printer come with two installation disks or only one?

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @KennethG1,

I believe there is just the one CD for this model.

There must be something else going on with the operating system not allowing all the software to install. Disconnect the USB cable and run a full uninstall from the Control Panel, Uninstall a Program.

I have provided you with some steps for unlocking the Hidden Administrator Account and installing the printer on this account to see if that will help with this situation.

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have done everything you have suggested three times exactly and to no avail. I have used every help utility HP has for this problem and I get the same error that the software will not install. The error message is 2147467259 failed to find driver packages to install. I am at my wits end. Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @KennethG1,

If you are running a small SSD for windows then you may have changed your default program files directory to another disk which would cause this error. 

Before attempting the following steps, please back up your registry first: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Press “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously. Type REGEDIT.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Expand SOFTWARE -> expand MICROSOFT -> expand WINDOWS -> click CurrentVersion

Find the registry file ProgramFilesDir -> double click -> value data should be set as C:\PROGRAM FILES

If any letter other than C is present change it and click on OK.  

Repeat this for ProgramFilesDir (x86) <if available> 

If it was set to another value other than c:\ try reinstalling your software now and it should work!  

Let me know if that helped. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It did not work. I did a completer restore and set the computer to its original factory settings. I wonder if that may have caused problems. After I did a restore my cd/dvd disc drive would not work.  Will that affect anything? I do appreciate your help and I am truly at a loss as it will only load the basic driveres without the software.

Thank  you very much.

HP Recommended

Hi @KennethG1,

Was the C drive set as the default?

You may have to restore the printer back to where you didn't have issues with the CD/DVD disc drive or update the drivers in the Device Manager.

I have provided some more steps that you can try to be able to install the full software.

Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer:

Click Start and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msiexec / unregister, and then click OK.

Click Start and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msiexec / regserver, and then click OK.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software before reinstalling the software again.  How to use MSCONFIG.  Click on the Startup tab and click Disable all.

I believe the issue is that the files aren't being located properly from the temp folder.

Follow these steps to copy the 7z....folder to the desktop and run the installation from there.

Go to Start, Run, type in %temp%. Clear out the temp folders.

Run the downloaded driver again, when the installation window opens cancel the installation.

Go back into the %temp% folder and copy the folder created for the printer. 7z..... (right click and select copy)

Close that window and on the desktop, right click and paste the 7z.... folder to the desktop.

Then reinstall the latest drivers from that folder. 

If you are still having issues, try another computer to see if you have the same results.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.