Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi - my admin just installed the deskjet 2540 on my laptop. i am a homeoffice user and i just want to connect the printer via wireless - it asks me for an ip address on my printer. but i do not have a display where i can see it. is there any possibility to get it connected wirelss otherwise i always have to use the usb cable - here it works. but its annoying;-)

thanks for the help.

i tried to get the installation done both ways with my vpn on and without vpn... nothing worked.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi cleitner!

To begin with, download your printer's full feature driver here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Deskjet-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5295960/mo...

Make sure that the correct OS for your PC is selected. If not, click Change and select the right OS.

Capture.PNG

While waiting for the download, unplug the USB cable.

Once the download is finish, install the driver and follow on screen instructions.

The software installation window progresses until a Connect window opens. STOP at the Connect window! Do not click Continue at this point.

Figure : Example of the Connect screen. Do not click Continue at this point

Example of the Connect screen. Do not click Continue at this point

ON YOUR PRINTER:

Press a series of buttons on the printer to reset the wireless settings to ensure that the connection completes successfully.
  1. Make sure the printer is turned on.
  2. If the wireless light is blinking, skip to the next step to continue installing the software.
  3. Press and hold the printer power button .
  4. While holding down the power button, press the Start Copy Black button two times, then press the cancel button three times.
  5. Release the power button. The wireless light next to the wireless button should blink. Repeat these steps if the wireless light does not blink.
  6. ON YOUR PC, Immediately continue to the next step to install the software. You have approximately 20 minutes to complete the software setup using HP’s auto wireless connect feature.

7. Return to the HP installation Connect screen on your computer, and click Continue.
  8. Read and respond to each software installation screen until a Connection Options screen opens.
  9. Make sure the power button light on the printer is fully lit and the wireless light is blinking. If the power button light is dim (indicating power save mode), press it once until it becomes bright.
  10. On the Connection Options screen, select Wireless - make a wireless connection to the printer, then click Next.
    Figure : Example of the Wireless - make a wireless connection to the printer
    Example of the Wireless - make a wireless connection to the printer
  11. After the installation checks your network configuration, one of the following screens display to provide you with the best available method to complete the wireless setup.
    • HP Auto Wireless Connect: Network check automatically gathers your network connection information. Click Yes, then click Next.
      Figure : Example of the HP Auto Wireless Connect screen
      Example of the HP Auto Wireless Connect screen

Click the close button in the upper right corner of the window once everything is done. No need to click Continue Online.

Let me know if this helped. 🙂

"Although I am working for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP"
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.