Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8210
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

MAC OS 10.11.6 

Activity Monitor reports that HP Device Monitor uses 2% to 6% CPU constantly, even when the printer is idle, and whether the connection is wireless or USB.  It also reads and writes to disk every few seconds, even if idle.  Is this normal?  Is there a setting which will stop this behaviour?  I ask because the iMac is elderly and a little slow (2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo) and therefore needs all the spare CPU time it can get. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Road_Runner,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues with the Device monitor using CPU time even when it's idle. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

In this scenario, we cannot change the CPU time as it's system energy and device utilizing 2% to 6% is normal. 

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So if I understand correctly, HP Device Monitor is a piece of software that runs all the time, waiting for a request from the user to print something; this uses up to around 6% of the CPU time, and is not a user option, it is switched on all the time.  This means that the time from requesting the print to actual printing taking place is shortened.  

An excellent feature in a professional environment, but it would be a benefit to users to have the choice of using it or not.  For some customers, a few extra seconds waiting for a print to come out is not a problem, but sacrificing 6% of CPU is not a good option.  This applies to home users particularly, and even more so when other devices such as scanners use a similar approach, so adding to the unwelcome loss of CPU time.  

HP Recommended

Hi @Road_Runner,

Thank you for replying,

Yes, HP Device Monitor is a piece of software which runs in the background, Here's a related HP Forum post which has helped others: Click here (Please view message 5 of 22).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.