Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

LaserJet 100 color M175nw is connected to USB, prints and scans fine, but HP Device Toolbox doesn't start and throws message that it cannot connect to printer...

Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home Premium

Latest software&drivers pack installed - CLJ_MFP_M175_N_sw_win_full_solution-acf version 1.4.1926.0  17.10.2014

Some sources from internet mention that I need "install DOT4 protocol for USB connections", I tried to do that but failed finding correct DOT4 installation pack: some of them ment for certain printer model (not mine) of found in unauthorized sources... Now port name is "USB001".

Please help!

PS: I need to fix "HP Device Toolbox" because I need to setup wireless connection of my printer to my WiFi. WPS is disabled, so it cannot be used for this purpose.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @Qlavrt

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are looking to use HP Toolbox and convert USB setup to wireless. Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Have you tried any other method to setup the printer for wireless?

I would recommend you to do a clean uninstall of the printer software using the method mentioned below. 

Uninstall the printer from programs and features from the control panel. (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Update the firmware on the printer by downloading it from www.hp.com/drivers  (Connect the printer to your computer through USB cable for a firmware update.)

Disconnect the printer after updating the firmware.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Please select wireless setup for you to configure the printer for wireless.

HP device toolbox is integrated to HP Solution Center which has been discontinued. Refer to this HP Article to know more.

Instead, it has been integrated to HP Printer Assistant which can be accessed by using the icon of the printer on your desktop after the setup is completed. 

Click here for the printer manual.

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Uninstall (printer disconnected) - ok;

Device manager - there is no printer listed;

Devices and printers -> select any -> "print server options" -> look for any HP drivers - there are no such;

Instances in 'Devices and printers' - there are no such;

Restart PC;

Clear %temp% folder- ok;

Clean up the registy manually searching 'LaserJet' keyword - many occurrences found and deleted;

Restart PC;

- after that there is still 'Program Files (x86)\HP\HPLasetJetService' folder, which couldn't be deleted even with admin priviledges!!! HPLasetJetService is not present in 'Services' control panel, nor found in Task Manager 'Services' tab! But the only action I succeeded is to rename 'HP' folder to 'HP___' but still couldn't delete it after restart!

Update printer firmware - it was 2012, now it is the latest 2014-06-18;

Restart PC;

Downloaded full feature driver and started installation process;

Connected printer only when it is prompted - drivers are installed, then installer tried to configure USB-connected printer for use of wireless network - 15% and 'Cannot connect to the printer! Check it is switched on.....'! The same error I can see when trying 'HP Device Toolbox'.

Any other ideas except 'swith it off and on again'?

HP Recommended

@Qlavrt

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service,

I reviewed your post and here's what I suggest you do:

Please create a new user account with administrator privileges and install the software again as the profile could be corrupted,

considering none of the steps suggested so far have worked:

1. On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:
    1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC
    2. Enter a username, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!
  2. On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:
    1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.
    2. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    3. Enter a username, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!

If the issue persists: 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.