Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5661
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I connected my HP Envy 5661 to my Toshiba laptop just FINE.  But when I tried to connect to my ASUS (wirelessly AND with cable) it keeps telling me "unable to find the printer".  I have redone the wireless connection wizard thing.  I have rebooted both computer and printer.  I have reinstalled the drivers from both the CD and an online download.  I am flummoxed. . . and I NEED to be able to print from this computer.  I have checked the firewall and I don't see any problems there.  What is going ON!?!  There is no customer support phone number that I can find anywhere.  This is a brand new printer - and I would totally just take it back to the store and get something else but this was a gift - and I can tell by the model number that it is a Costco exclusive product and I don't have a receipt or a Costco membership.  PLEASE help me get this thing connected!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Turns out the CD that HP sent me in the box WITH the printer was for the wrong model.  😕  I don't know why the driver I tried downloading by putting in the correct model number didn't work.  But after an hour of digging, I FINALLY found a phone number for customer support and got a human on the phone who fixed the problem immediately.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Printer works with other computer but not this computer therefore please do not try to fix the printer but fix computer instead. Please try the follwing steps.

1. Get printer IP address from printer and record on a piece of paper (press wirless symbol on printer to get its IP address).
  2. Run downloaded file as administrator and select wirless,
  3. Check to see IP address of printer on the list and IP address of printer recorded above, if NOT the same, enter the IP address recorded above and continue,
  4. Follow on screen instructions.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have done that ad nauseum.  I now have my IP *memorized* I've tried entering it so many times.  I've tried connecting with the USB cable out of desperation.  My computer simply does not recognize the existance of this printer.  So it makes me think it's related to the driver.  Which is why I've tried installing the driver (from the CD *and* tried downloading in case there was an update) multiple times.  And it does. not. work.

I get left with a vicious cycle of it asking me to click the wireless button to get the IP - and when I enter that, it pops up and says the printer cannot be found.  And I can't even exit out of the popup window because it has no little "x" on it anywhere.  I have to pull up the task manager and kill the application from there.

Really not impressed with HP printers in my past experience of them just dying out of the blue for no reason - but at least those printers I got to actually USE.  For a while, anyway.

HP Recommended

Turns out the CD that HP sent me in the box WITH the printer was for the wrong model.  😕  I don't know why the driver I tried downloading by putting in the correct model number didn't work.  But after an hour of digging, I FINALLY found a phone number for customer support and got a human on the phone who fixed the problem immediately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.