Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I select "HP Scan" when I'm at the installation type part of the install, which I assume means it's being installed. However, the scan function doesn't appear.  After installation I've restarted the computer and it still doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @RobT17,

At this time I would like to have you run the install for your printer through a USB Cable connection. The idea is that when we successfully complete the HP Full Feature Software and Driver install through a USB Cable connection the HP Envy print drivers, scan drivers, and software will be loaded onto your computer. At which point, we can then delete the USB Cable copy of your printer and manually Add the networked copy of your printer to your computer. As long as your HP Envy that we manually Add to your computer is utilising the HP drivers scanning through HP Scan should function as per normal.

If you have a USB Cable that we can temporarily use, can I please have you grab that cable now.

Next, please Reset the Print System on your Mac to remove any copies of your HP Envy that have been added for printing ability. Once the Print System has been Reset on your Mac, please click here to download and run the installer for a USB Cable connection. Once the install has completed successfully please proceed to the next step.

1. Disconnect the USB Cable from your Mac

2. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

3. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

4. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

5. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner. If you see your network printer automatically populate in the list, please click it to Add it to your Mac. If you do not see your printer listed, click the IP tab at the top

6. Under Protocol choose HP Jetdirect - Socket

7. Under Address please type in your printers IP Address

8. Under Name you can rename your printer to the actual HP Envy 7640

9. Under Print Using please make sure that the HP Envy driver is selected and not the Apple Airprint driver

Once your printer is added in successfully please try printing and scanning to confirm that both functions are working.

Please let me know if these steps work for you. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @RobT17,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're not able to scan from your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer to your Mac OS X 10.10 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this scan issue. There is a chance that your Mac OS X 10.10 computer has loaded a generic Apple Airprint print only driver on your printer, rather than the Full Feature Software and Driver. This is not uncommon. Therefore, I am going to have you start troubleshooting by ensuring that your HP Envy is utilising the correct driver package. Please follow the steps below.

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Envy driver is selected and not the Airprint.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Once your printer has been confirmed as installed with the Full Feature Driver please test scanning to confirm that the issue is now resolved.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately it did not work. When I get to the add printer section, no printer is listed so I manually added the HP Envy, but it did not work.

HP Recommended

Hello @RobT17,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this scan issue.

It is strange that your printer did not appear as an option under the 'Add' printer screen. This may indicate that there may be a communication issue between your Mac and printer, rather than an HP Scan driver issue.

• Is your printer connected through a Network connection or a USB Cable connection to the Mac?

Once I find out your connection method, I will be happy to guide you to a solution. 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It's connected through a network.

HP Recommended

Hey @RobT17,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this issue.

I'm going to have you perform a quick test to verify if your printer and Mac computer are actually 'talking' to each other over the network connection. Once we determine if they're actually communicating properly over the network we will work towards a resolution.

Step 1: Check Connectivity:

1. On the front panel of your HP Envy swipe your finger and touch the Setup icon
  2. Select Network Setup
  3. Touch Print Reports
  4. Touch Network Configuration Page. A Network Configuration page will now print.
  5. Locate the IP Address and Network Name (SSID) on this Network Configuration Report
  6. On your Mac, please check the Network Name (SSID) that it is connected to (usually an icon for this is on the top right of your Mac). Please make sure that your Mac and printer are connected to the exact same Network Name (SSID). Avoid connected to 'guest' networks. Also, if you are using a dual band router, make sure that your computer and printer are connected to the 2ghz band. Printers are not supported over 5ghz connections. If you're not sure how to check this on the router, you may need to speak with the router manufacturer.
  7. Once you have determined that your Mac and printer are on the same network, please open up the internet browser on your Mac
  8. In the address bar please type in your printers IP Address. Do not include www.
  9. Search to this website. A website for your printer should now open. 

• If a website for your printer opens successfully: it indicates that your printer and computer are communicating over the network connection. Therefore, because your printer fails to automatically appear in the 'Add' printer window, there may be a firewall or security on your Mac blocking the communication with your printer.

• If a website for your printer fails to open successfully: it indicates that your printer and computer are not communicating over the network. If you have confirmed that both devices are on the exact same network then it may indicate that your router is blocking the printer from properly communicating.

Please respond to this post with the result of accessing your printers website (Embedded Web Server). Once I know if the Mac and printer are communicating over the network or not I will be able to provide you with additional steps to resolve this issue. 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

A website for my printer did open successfully. According to the firewall section the printer is set to "allow incoming connections". 

HP Recommended

Hey @RobT17,

I am very happy to hear that you're able to access the printers Embedded Web Server by entering the IP Address of the printer in the address bar of the web browser on your computer.  At this point I am going to have you perform some standard Mac troubleshooting steps to correct this product detection issue under the 'Add' printer window, and the HP Scan issues. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Reset the Print System:

Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under 'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion.' This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP Envy back in at this time.

Once the reset is complete, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Uninstall Drivers and Software:

Next, please click here for steps on how to properly uninstall your printer. Once the site opens select the dropdown for 'Mac OS X v10.6, OS X v10.7, OS X v10.8, and OS X v10.9' and follow the appropriate steps to complete the uninstall process.

Once the uninstall is complete, please continue on.

Step 3: Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

Step 4: Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

Step 5: Reinstall your Software and Drivers:

Please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer. Once the installation is complete please test scanning to confirm if the issue has been resolved. 

Let me know if these steps resolve your issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

That didn't fix it either. When I get to the part in the screen shot below, it spins and never locates the printer.HP Utility.png

HP Recommended

Hello @RobT17,

At this time I would like to have you run the install for your printer through a USB Cable connection. The idea is that when we successfully complete the HP Full Feature Software and Driver install through a USB Cable connection the HP Envy print drivers, scan drivers, and software will be loaded onto your computer. At which point, we can then delete the USB Cable copy of your printer and manually Add the networked copy of your printer to your computer. As long as your HP Envy that we manually Add to your computer is utilising the HP drivers scanning through HP Scan should function as per normal.

If you have a USB Cable that we can temporarily use, can I please have you grab that cable now.

Next, please Reset the Print System on your Mac to remove any copies of your HP Envy that have been added for printing ability. Once the Print System has been Reset on your Mac, please click here to download and run the installer for a USB Cable connection. Once the install has completed successfully please proceed to the next step.

1. Disconnect the USB Cable from your Mac

2. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

3. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

4. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

5. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner. If you see your network printer automatically populate in the list, please click it to Add it to your Mac. If you do not see your printer listed, click the IP tab at the top

6. Under Protocol choose HP Jetdirect - Socket

7. Under Address please type in your printers IP Address

8. Under Name you can rename your printer to the actual HP Envy 7640

9. Under Print Using please make sure that the HP Envy driver is selected and not the Apple Airprint driver

Once your printer is added in successfully please try printing and scanning to confirm that both functions are working.

Please let me know if these steps work for you. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.