Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
After posting, I thought to run the program in XP compatibility mode. It ran, and seemed to do something. I restarted and went to reinstall. Fatal Error, looks like the same issues as before. Question, this is a networked printer and not USB, should I skip adding the device until after the install finishes?
HP Recommended
Update. I was watching the installation and it appeared to have installed solution center, and it occurred to me that the fatal error was happening during device setup. I ran solution center and it came up saying there were no devices. So I went to add a device and it could not find the printer. The strange thing is that the installer can find the printer very quickly.
HP Recommended

Did you try to "Add a Device" under your printers folder? Or did you do it from the start menu > HP > printer folder (usually the name of your printer)?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
Using the HP Add Device feature.
HP Recommended

Do you have a USB cable? We could try to install it via USB and then switch it over to a network connection.

Another suggestion is to shut the computer down and perform a hard reset on the printer. Once the printer is back on, boot the computer back up, and try to "Add a Device" again.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Try that and let me know if it helps!

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I've narrowed down the issue further that it is an error when trying to add the device to solution center.  On a hunch because of it not resolving the printer over the network, I reset the windows firewall and then reinstalled.  I skipped adding the device, and the software installed without a hitch.  I went to add the printer, and it found it, went through the steps, and looked like it worked.  But after, when I try to open solution center, it says "No HP devices detected.  Solution center will close now.  I then decided to just try using USB for the computer in question because it is right next to the printer, while still leaving the printer plugged into ethernet and shared to the other computers across the network.  I tried to add it as a USB printer, but have the same issue.  Is there a way to manually add a device to solution center, or maybe there's a corrupted registry entry preventing it from working properly.

HP Recommended

Did this issue get solved?? I've been having the exact same problem for months and so I'm tyring again to fix it.. Well see.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.