Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet CP1025nw

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of a HP LaserJet CP1025nw printer from version  20100510 to 20150114 through this file provided on the product page.

I've downloaded  the LJCP1020_FW_Upgrade_Security-20150114.exe and when I try to run it it says that I need RFU enabled othewise install will fail.

MRYxBuu[2].png

Then I've looked around to find how to toggle RFU and since the web panel (by typing in the address bar the IP of the printer) didn't contained that option, I ended up at this HP help page which was explaining how to do it.

In particular, since my moel doesn't have a screen, this is the procedure described:
Screenshot_2.png

I've tried to press Go and Yellow togheter, I've tried pressing first yellow then Go and viceversa and I tried all of these many times, but I didn't managed to get the step 1 "Ready and Attention leds blinking togheter" and therefore not even the color leds telling me if RFU is enabled or not.

I can't get the shown procedure to work and therefore I can't check and toggle RFU and I don't want to try update the firmware because I fear that if it fails (like the warning says) the printer will break or become unusable because of the incompletely upgraded firmware (I really don't know how the firmware behaves in case of error, I don't want a bricked printer).

So, how to solve this?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @ANewUser,

I see that you are concerned about continuing to run the firmware update on the printer, since the error message to turn off the RFU notification came up. I would like to help you.

I have seen this message come up with other models, which also don't have a option for the settings to turn off the RFU and the firmware updated properly. If you are still in warranty and are concerned that it might cause issues with the printer, call into HP tech support and have them walk you through it over the phone. You can call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

If you aren't having any issues with the printer, then you don't need to run the firmware update.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the Thumbs up button below.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi @ANewUser,

I see that you are concerned about continuing to run the firmware update on the printer, since the error message to turn off the RFU notification came up. I would like to help you.

I have seen this message come up with other models, which also don't have a option for the settings to turn off the RFU and the firmware updated properly. If you are still in warranty and are concerned that it might cause issues with the printer, call into HP tech support and have them walk you through it over the phone. You can call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

If you aren't having any issues with the printer, then you don't need to run the firmware update.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the Thumbs up button below.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Hi, Gemini02

Well I've tried contacting the support about this issue but they said my printer is out of warranty so they would fee me 25€  (about 30$)  to assist me because they couldn't solve the problem with the details I provided (which are the same I provided you plus the serial number and the product code and they told me that paid assistance might not be able to solve the problem, so I didn't took the risk.

I'm updating the firmware because of course we have problems on the printer, so I can't skip it.

Anyway, since I can't count on assistance, I could follow your advice and try to update the firmware anyway since you say you've seen models which don't have RFU at all and update succeeded, but in my case, if you check my screenshot, the official hp website has a guide to check RFU for my model (HP LaserJet CP1025nw) through go & yellow button, so I assume that RFU is available on my model and I can't get it to work. I see this problem happened to others ("instructions to check via go & yellow button did not perform as indicated." says the user).   But what if firmware update fails?

I'm at work, I can't just try to update and hope the printer will not brick and become unusable. I need to be sure if firmware updater software HP provides is safe in case of failure or not.

I don't want to get to the point that in the middle of firmware installing I get some "Firmware update failed!" and the printer is broken (because there's half of the firmware on it)

That said,  how should I proceed?

HP Recommended

Hi @ANewUser,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this Post has instructions.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,
I've been contacted by private message and sent the technician to the requested info. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I will resolve the issue.

HP Recommended
Why post the solutions. Others Are having somilar problems including not seeing the orinter when on wifi
HP Recommended

Hi @imac44,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this Post has instructions.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

HP Recommended

This is foolish.  What is the point of having a forum if all you ever do is private message people your solutions???  The ENTIRE point is to create a knowledge base that will help others with the exact same problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.