Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M102w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install a brand new HP LaserJet Pro M102w.

I have gone through the installation process 3 different ways, 3 different times in attempts to install the printer. I have tried installation through the CD; I have tried installtion through the online installation process; I have tried a manual installation by downloading the driver from online HP web portal; all attempts go through the installation process, but never fully install the printer.

Printer installs from everything from the Windows Detection of new devices and drivers. However, when I go to view the printer in the "Devices and Printers" page, there is an exclamation mark, indicating that troubleshooting is needed. However, troubleshooter cannot find anything.

I try to access the printer from the HP Icon that is placed on the desktop from the installation, but it redirects me to a installing a new device (as if it has never been established through a printer)

I have tried downloading the HP Printer and Scan Doctor.  It tells me the same thing as the HP Icon, that software is missing.

Please help. 

Thanks,

Cameron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@camturner2445

Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.Kudos to you.

Glad that the issue got fixed. You can reach out to HP forum for any issues on your HP products.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings!!@camturner2445

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.Thank you for posting your query.I read your post I see that you've installation issues on your printer.I'll be more than glad to help you out.

Let's try to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver software by the following method.

Step 1:

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer.

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step2: Please refer the link to download the full feature software: Click here

Please complete the steps and let me know the outcome.

I'll be eagerly waiting to assist you with same, cheers 🙂

Have a nice day.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.

I reached out to HP support via Twitter and they helped guide me through some of the troubleshooting.

What ended up being my issue was that there were previous HP drivers installed within the Windows Update settings that were corrupted. I removed them by going to this page:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4157320&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063 

Then dowloading the "Software for the Universal Print Driver" on that page. Going through the steps in the application, and removing all existing HP drivers.

Then after attempted to install the driver through the regular setup, everything installed correctly as it should.

HP Recommended

@camturner2445

Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.Kudos to you.

Glad that the issue got fixed. You can reach out to HP forum for any issues on your HP products.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am trying to install the printer for the first time out of the box. After i set it up and loaded paper I powered it on It seemed to be trying to load the paper, falied and red light came on. HELP

HP Recommended

I encountered that happening a few times. Make sure the paper is pushed all the way into the printer. Even having the paper a few inches from being completely inside the printer has caused this issue for me. After that, press the power button to have the printer try and feed the paper then.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem as the original person. I have followed all of your steps and downloaded it again. Same thing. The printer shows up in my Device & Printers folder but when I go to print a document, it is not an option. Do you know if there are any other possible fixes.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.