Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for this!  I just cut over (reluctantly) to Windows 7 ... and this is EXACTLY why I refuse to upgrade for years.

The 1015 driver works great on my trustworthy 1012, but it's displaying a long grey stripe down the left hand side of the page.  Is this happening with anyone else?

HP Recommended

I just installed the vista 64 bit driver on my windows 7 64 bit laptop and it is working beautifully. This is the link (sorry I don't know how to shorten them)  If the link doesn't work you can search for drivers right on HP's website for the 1012 printer. It shows a list of platforms and I chose the vista 64 bit since a windows 7 wasn't listed.  Good luck! 

Forgot to add that I installed the printer by plugging in the usb first and then going to the printers/devices area to troubleshoot when the error for the missing driver popped up. I then clicked on properties and updated the driver for the usb port by pointing it to the unzipped file I downloaded from hp (link below).  It took less than 5 minutes total and the printer is printing pages like it does for my vista desktop. No weird characters, lines, etc. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=306510&p...

HP Recommended

please send me  HP Laserjet 1012 Windows 7 64-bit Driver.

HP Recommended
The link for the driver is in the post above. Click on it to download.
HP Recommended

All that information is probably correct and works great, but honestly I don't have a clue what you guys are saying.  Is there a for Dummies version? 

What I know is I bought a new desktop.  It has window 7 64Bit, and my HP1012 won't work.  Also when I try to get the HP1015 driver, HP says its already on your computer and is recognized automatically.  OK.  That's no help.  So here I set. Nice computer.  Can't print.

So if someone has patience and can walk me thru step by step, I would greatly appreciate the same.

HP Recommended

This is pitiful on HP's part.  I work IT and have Laserjet 5's still in use.  They have better hinges than you will find in most houses and they came with DOS drivers.  HP is still supporting these printers, perhaps because they were enterprise class printers when they were introduced.  Now they are shipping disposable printers and won't even bother to update the drivers which they don't even have to distribute themselves.

Following suggestions from this forum I was able to install and use the printer by manually adding a local printer, which I said was using USB, selecting Windows Update, selecting HP for Manufacturer, Laserjet 1015 for model, installing, then selecting the printer out of the device list, clicking the Print Server Properties tab near the top of the window, and changing the port to DOT4_001(IEEE 1284.4 ....) and applying.  It works.  HP could have had an intern do it for free, probably in less than an hour, by simply modifying a few lines of pre-existing code.

HP became a great company by building great products, then people rightly bought them and HP made a load of cash.  Now they try to make money for their stockholders and use what is left to try to run a business.  They need an industry leader at their helm, not a bunch of bean counters trying to get the biggest slice of the pie.

Their products have become jokes and they are too bloated and Huttesque(Star Wars parlance) to care about the needs of their consumers, unless they get the money up front in service contracts.  I won't say that I shall never buy HP again, but they need to remember they are a computer/component manufacturer and that is what they do.  Profits come from being a great company, not stripping their company to the bone and splitting the spoils amonst shareholders.

Maybe they will find some humility in this and update the driver.  Thanks for the suggestions in this forum that got me up and running, no thanks to HP.

HP Recommended

Hear Hear! Corporate greed (upper management schill greed) is ruining SO many companies - at least Carla's not in charge anymore!

HP Recommended

I received good help from this forum with this problem.

I have my LaserJet 1012 working using the LaserJet 1015 driver.  It works fine with Word.  However, when I try to print a PDF through Adobe Reader 10, Adobe closes.  I also tried using the LaserJet 3055PCL5(HP) driver, but Adobe still closes.

Has anyone found a solution to the PDF printing problem?

HP Recommended

You guys ROCK! Solved my problems particularly the last one about getting the port to IEEE. You plug it in and expect it to play. After 30 years do we really still have printing problems? REALLY?

HP Recommended

I would love a copy of that installation disk you have. How do I go about getting a copy from you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.