Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

After my HP OfficeJet pro 8600 printer, 5 or so years old,  stopped printing I called HP Support for help. After going through several tests and steps the Tech concluded that my OfficeJet pro 8600  was beyond repair. As such, they convinced me to Purchase a new printer, an OfficeJet Pro6978-$99. The next morning I removed all the 8600 print cartridges and replaced them with new ones and after doing so, the 8600 now works properly with no problems. A day or so later the 6978 was delivered and I now have 2 printers, the 8600 and the new 6978.  After checkinbg the cost for the ink cartridges, I determined that the new 6978 I would save approx $30 each time I replaced the ink cartridges. I usually replace them 3 or 4 times per year.  Now I don't know what to do.  The Issues I see  include the age of the 8600 and the Ink cartridge monetary saving.  My question is a financial one: should I keep the new 6978, not return it and get a refund and continue to use the 8600 until it breaks down ? I need some suggestions please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mickeyd1, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you wanted to know if you can keep the new printer or the keep the old one and return the new printer.

As per my suggestion, you need to keep the new HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer as it has all the advanced features and also you will be saving money on ink. Moreover, the old printer is very old and may break down any moment.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mickeyd1, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you wanted to know if you can keep the new printer or the keep the old one and return the new printer.

As per my suggestion, you need to keep the new HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer as it has all the advanced features and also you will be saving money on ink. Moreover, the old printer is very old and may break down any moment.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Great practical suggestion. Many thanks.

HP Recommended

@mickeyd1, you are welcome.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead and Happy New Year.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.