Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ok, had the same problem with our Officejet 6500A.  Windows 10 said everything was fine but it would not print, it wouldn't even spool.  Whatever print event was sent just vanished.

I blew away the drivers, installed HP's driver.  Same problem.  I blew away the drivers and let windows apply drivers.  Same problem.  Finally, I went looking for the driver options manually.

1. Click the start button and start typing: Devices and Printers
    1. If that doesn't work. 
      1. Right Click Star Button > Control Panel
      2. Change View to Small Icons
      3. Click Devices and Printers
  2. Find your printer in the list
  3. Right Click on the printer > Printer Properties
  4. Click the Advanced Tab
  5. There is a label called driver with a drop down list.
  6. Press New Driver.  This should open a list of manufaturers on left with drivers on the right
  7. Choose HP on the left
  8. Grab the scroll bar on the right move it about 3/4 down.  You may have to scrub the list a bit to find the Officejet block.
  9. There were 8 drivers for the 6500.  A number of the drivers had long version numbers.  I didn't choose any of the long versioned drivers.
  10. I selected the first Officejet 6500 E709a Serices Class Driver in the list.  There were two.

After selecting that driver the printer works again.  I'm not sure why there appears to be duplicate drivers as I had removed that one in the past.  

If you do not have that driver I believe it is found here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-6500-All-in-One-Printer-series---E7/379...

Even if you install the driver your printer may not work and you will have to manually select the driver using the steps above.

HP Recommended

I uninstalled the driver then tried to reinstall using the disk provided when I purchased the printer and it wouldn't work. So I downloaded a driver from the internet. The printer will print now, however a message comes up regularly saying the computer cannot connect to the printer even though we use a USB cable. The printer will not scan to email or computer files.

HP Recommended

my hp6500office jet printer stopped working. just bought a toshiba laptop with windows10.  heard my old printer needs new drivers.  is it true. 

HP Recommended

The  HP officejet 6500A sw is different from my HP Officejet 8600 N911n printer model. I used HP's latest download dated 5/2016. I am checking for previous errors and found one so far.

HP Recommended

Scanning with the 6500, a message asks to select computer. when I click arrow to right of message nothing happens.  I tried downloading the new drivers for my Windows 10 64 bit system. That didn't help.

The print function works okay.

If I want to scan documents or scan from my computer, am I missing something or is this function simply no longer available?

Will HP give me a credit on a newer printer compatible with Windows 10 64 bit? If it is necessary to buy a new printer I'd like a smaller unit that takes up less desk space. I don't do a lot of printing, less than 50 pages a month, and only scan things twice a month. 

HP Recommended

Run on Windows 7. I can't remember how to do it on Windows 10, but since I told the program to run on previous version I have been able to use my scanner

HP Recommended

I can't remember how to do it on Windows 10, but since I told the program to run on previous version (Windows 7).  I have been able to use my scanner.

HP Recommended

I gave up. HP was no help. My Xerox 6027 was on sale and works just great.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.