Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8500 A909a

I've had this printer for years and never had a problem.  Then it stopped accepting the scan command.  I went to the Scan and print doctor and followed the prompts including installing the new Software.  Now it scans when commanded.

BUT it won't print now.  Not a picture, and not a document.

I've been through the Scan/Print doctor prompts again, uninstalled then reinstalled the software.  But nothing!  However, if I place something on the screen of the printer and push the button on the printer, it will print that.  It's just not wanting to accept commands from the computer. 

Any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Stellabelle,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you are using a USB connection, do not follow the steps I mentioned in the above post. Try the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer to PC.
  • Go to control panel - Programs and features and make sure there are no HP Officejet printer entries in the list. If there are any, uninstall the same.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL31041/mp-88604-3/OJP8500vA909_Full_14.exe and install the drivers.
  • Plug the USB cable only while prompted.
  • Try printing now. If still having issues, go to next step.
  • Go to http://hp.care/2c5YKY5 and expand "Manual steps to solve the problem" and follow the steps under "Step 4: Make sure the correct port is selected"
  • Now try to print and check.

Hope that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Stellabelle, Greetings!

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I see by your post that you are experiencing issues while printing to your HP 8500 printer. I am happy to look into this issue for you!

I would like to know the operating system you are using on your computer. Also, how is the printer connected to the PC? Is it via USB cable or a wireless connection?

Alternatively, if you are using a wireless connection, follow the steps below to assign a manual IP and assign a new "port" to fix this issue:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address) Apply the settings and close the page.

After setting a manual IP address for the printer, add a printer port to Windows that matches this new IP address.

• Search Windows for devices, and then select “Devices and Printers” in the list of results.
  • Right-click the name of your printer, and then select “Printer Properties”.
  • The Properties window opens.
  • Click the “Ports” tab, and then click “Add Port”.
  • Select “Standard TCP/IP Port”, and then click “New Port”.
  • Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click “Next”.
  • Select the new “Standard TCP/IP Port” from the list, and then click “OK”.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup. Now try printing.

Hope that helps. Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  To answer your questions,  I'm running Windows 7 and connected with a viable USB cable.  

After reading a post about a similar problem, I uninstalled the HP drivers and software last night and am about to reinstall it.  That may fix it,  but I've done it before without success, so my hopes aren't high.

I really appreciate your help and any insights you can give me to fix this mess.  I love this printer, it does everything I need so I hate to give up on it.  

I look forward to your reply.

Stellabelle

HP Recommended

Hello @Stellabelle,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you are using a USB connection, do not follow the steps I mentioned in the above post. Try the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer to PC.
  • Go to control panel - Programs and features and make sure there are no HP Officejet printer entries in the list. If there are any, uninstall the same.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL31041/mp-88604-3/OJP8500vA909_Full_14.exe and install the drivers.
  • Plug the USB cable only while prompted.
  • Try printing now. If still having issues, go to next step.
  • Go to http://hp.care/2c5YKY5 and expand "Manual steps to solve the problem" and follow the steps under "Step 4: Make sure the correct port is selected"
  • Now try to print and check.

Hope that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for sticking with me.  I'd just unplugged the thing ready to dump it in the trash.  Now, I'll try your solution first.

Got my fingers crossed!!

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.