Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PSC series 1315 Officejet
Microsoft Windows XP

I'm trying to install the software for a HP PSC 1315 officejet all-in-one on an XP pc. When I put the disk in the CD/DVD drive it will not start. When I click on SETUP.EXE it does not start. Tried the disk in another laptop (Win10) and desktop (Win10) and the disk would run. I put the installation disks for two other programs in the XP and both ran. I downloaded the installation file from HP Support and it would not run either. Does anyone know what's going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jonessbl,

That would be better answered by the folks @Dell.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @jonesbl😄

I read about the issue you are having with your Windows XP OS not running the installation disk however, a Windows 10 system does run it. This seems to be an issue with the XP OS. I found some steps for you to try below (disregard the last step as ordering another disk likely won't work). If you continue to have the issue afterwards, then I would suggest contacting the computer manufacturer to have the operating system repaired or upgraded.

Installation Disc Does Not Start (Windows XP)

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!

Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I just went through all six steps and none worked. Here are the facts that make this so puzzling:

1. I got the printer with installation disk from a relative. The software loaded onto their XP machine without trouble.

2. I've put this disk into a Dell laptop and HP notebook and it was possible to run it by clicking on the drive icon.

3. I put both a music CD and a software installation disk in the old Dell with XP and both could start.

So, what could account for these facts being true? I hate to ditch a perfectly good HP Officejet, especially considering I just bought new ink cartridges to use. I've spent two days trying to solve this and I seem no closer to a solution than when I started.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you can think of any other approach to this.

HP Recommended

Hi @jonesbl,

Have you tried to install from here.

IF that does not help, try to click Start, type services, and go to View Local Services. Scroll down to the Windows Installer. Startup type should be - Automatic, and Service Status should be - started. Restart the computer after this step and try installing again.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I changed Windows Installer to "Running" and "Automatic", restarted. Stil is not working. I spent a lot of time yesterday getting installation files from the Support section of the HP website. I downloaded multiple times and still could not get this solved.

HP Recommended

Is it possible there is a "comptability" issue between the HP printer installation  disk and my very old Dell Dimension 4400 XP Home Edition? The PC was purchased  used from Dell June 2002. The OS was changed  from Windows Pro to Home Editon somewhere along the way because I had a terrible virus infection that required a reinstall of Windows, According to the System Profile for this PC it is equipped with a NEC NR-7900A compact disk  read/write 24X CD drive. Is there anything that would not let my CD drive play nicely with the HP disc? It works fine with other discs (audio and program install discs.

HP Recommended

Hi @jonessbl,

That would be better answered by the folks @Dell.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your efforts trying to solve the delima. My son has convinced me to stop searching for an answer. After all, I already have two working printers. My first printer was a HP laser jet purchased in 1997 when I bought my first PC running Windows 95. It served me well until a year ago when I had to retire it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.