Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Very frustarted and now resigned to never, ever buying another HP device as long as I live.

Bought a brand new Black cartiridge only to find out the HP printer is factury configured to work only if other ink is present. So now back to the store to spend more money on another cartridge, only to find out the ink system is in failing mode and now paper jams and STILL NOT PRINITING AND ALSO POSTING A WARNING THAT THE NEW CARTRIDGE IS EMPTY AND WONT PRINT AT ALL. Now fingers covered in ink from clearing papaer jam, spent $40 on new cartridges and STILL NO SIMPLE TEXT PAGE PRINTED. {Content Removed} HP PRINTERS, they are garbage.

I guess the reason the brand new magenta cartridge is posting as empty is because the printer drained it all over the insid e of the housing. UN {Content Removed} BELIEVABLE. PIECE OF {Content Removed}. NOW, MORE MONEY ON ANOTHER PRINTER, guarantee you, it won't be HPieceof crap. So Pissed right now.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!  Your solution of unplugging the printer then holding the "Help" & "OK" buttons while plugging the power cord back in worked great. (In my case the printer did not turn back on on its own. So you may have to press the power button if it doesn't turn on after a few minutes.) The whole process took only about 15 minutes and now my printer works with no problems. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@nav11 wrote:

I have a 13 month old HP Photosmart C5180 which is now displaying the following error message, "Ink System has failed. Unable to print.." Error: Oxc18a0506

The help message suggests "turn power off then on again".  This does not clear the faultI've followed a number of other threads with similar sounding issues and have attempted all of the suggested solutions including resets, print head cleaning, removing each print cartridge and cleaning them, removing and replacing the power lead whilst holding the OK and  Help buttonsNone of these have cleared the problemBefore I embark on what many others have described as less than useful and expensive, HP help line I wondered if anyone else has had, and solved, this error.

HP Recommended

@sweetlogo wrote:

Dude, this totally works! And I didn't have to waste any ink. Thanks! S.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. This did the job for me............Ron

HP Recommended
Thank You so very much. I followed your instructions and my printer now works. I really like this printer so I do appreciate your solution!😊
HP Recommended

Lorell if you  are out there please respond with your email so we can talk about your fix.
Harold

@Lorell wrote:

I wasn't able to print on my HP C5180 printer and kept getting a message: Ink system failure.  For three days, I went into different sites and found  a HP website suggesting how to fix this.  I did call on the phone and the technician had me go

through steps and at the end the same message came up.  He told me I had to get a new printer since there was a hardware

failure.  I did quite a few things that people suggested and still the same message came up.  Yesterday, I went out to look

for a new printer.  They aren't made as well as the one I own - they looked flimsy.  I was very disheartened.  I didn't give up

hope and went oneline to the support group for HP.  The technician took me through steps starting with the front panel on the printer: press the setup button with the left arrow key held down. press o.k.  Using the right arrow, scroll to System configuration Menu.  Then press O.k.  This is in more detail and if you want to get in touch with me, I will explain through e-mail how I managed to get my printer back working.  It is excellent now.  I am glad I didn't part with HP C5180.  The photographs come out beautifully.  The problem stemmed from the ink cartridge.  I used a clean wet rag (no fuzz) and wiped the contacts on both the ink cartridge and the inside of the printer where the cartridge is placed.  Then I dried it with a soft dry cloth.  This tech was great: he was patient, and simplified the directions. 

with the left arrow key held down

HP Recommended

FINALLY!!!!! THANK YOU SO SOOOO VERY MUCH!

The Master Reset WORKED!!!  After 3 days of following instructions from HP & NOTHING worked.

YOU came to our rescue!!

Just turn on printer, HOLD the "HELP" AND "OK" buttons @ SAME time!! WHALAA!! MAGIC!!

Thank you again!

Very Grateful,

Sue

HP Recommended

Error code 0xc05d1281

DID NOT WORK for me: Unplugging and then pressing OK and Help buttons simultaneously and plugging back in.

BUT my printer is plugged into a SURGE PROTECTOR.  After reading further on this board,

THIS WORKED for me:

Unplugged from surge protector and plugged printer cord directly INTO WALL OUTLET.  Waited for Ink System Failure error message to reappear.  Unplugged from wall outlet.  Pressed OK and Help buttons simultaneously and plugged printer cord back into wall outlet.  Printer reset in minutes and works properly.  Yay!!

KUDOS to those who posted the reset instruction and flagged surge protector issue.  

Thumbs down to 8lives who posted on another board that there's no solution to above error code and you have to buy a new printer.

HP Recommended
It did not work for me 😕
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.