Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M177
Microsoft Windows Vista

I can't seem to find a link for an OLD VERSION  of the HP Print and Scan Doctor THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

No matter what link I use, I always end up to the same 'Updated' version that tells me that my operating system is 'outdated' (I'll be the judge of that, thank you) and offers to download a more suitable version...  Which doesn't work at all "Download failed,  please try again" 

Why can't HP post a REAL LINK to the ACTUAL FILE that will work for my operating system? Has freedom of choice become a crime when it comes to software?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@83bj60,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to download the old version of HP Print Scan Doctor.

When downloading HP Print and Scan Doctor on a computer with Windows Vista or earlier, a message displays directing you to download version 4.9, which is similar.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded to your computer using your Internet browser. The file is approximately 10MB in size.

After the download and installation completes, HP Print and Scan Doctor opens.

2. Click Start on the Welcome screen.

3. If your printer is not listed, make sure the printer is turned on and connected, click My product is not listed, and then click Retry.

4. Select your printer, and then click Next.

5. If a connection problem is detected, click the method being used to connect the printer, follow the instructions on the screen, and then click Retry.

6. Depending on your issue, click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

You may also check the link: Using Print and Scan Doctor

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you, but your answer ignores the fact the version you linked to is precisely the latest version that doesn't work.

Like I said in my first post, upon running it, it tells me it only runs on Windows 7 and newer and offers me to download the previous, compatible version, which fails with the message "Download failed, please try again". Of course, trying again ends up with eactly the same error.

So after making an extensive Google search, I located earlier versions of the product. This is where I came into the second error - the installer erroneously identifies my Vista OS as Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Because every time, the installer states "extracting",  I figured it could be  asimple archive, so I figured out how to extract the contents into a folder, then ran what looked like the correct executable, HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe, and it worked perfectly from there on.

For other forlks who may be faced with this issue - This is the answer you seek. But thanks anyway for the good intentions, Rainbow23.

Edit: be careful where you download old versions from. I found my sources but am also internet savvy and recognize sites that try to send you through surveys, multiple links rife with crass ads and clikbait that could easily expose unsuspecting users to malware.

The version I downloaded AND tried with success on my Vista 32 bit machine was 4.4, is 6,674,824 bytes long and its SHA-256 signature is 454A246406AEDBF194D598F24E622A80AB709EB8DA4A97BAFBA02786CDEC9338

Hope this helps you avoid potential problems. I am protected with Malwarebbytes anti malware, MVP Hosts and ESET Smart Security.

HP Recommended

@83bj60,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues. If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you for encouraging my participation. I would have probably forgotten to come back here to present a solution to this issue if you hadn't answered.

As for marking this as an 'official' solution, I'm afraid I can't give it the recommended 'seal of approval' as long as HP doesn't publish links to authenticated copies of old versions, as I had to find them on thrid party web sites, which could have easily exposed me to malware. I have added a warning in my previous post as a precaution and listed the version I actually used with success and its SHA-256 signature for those looking for some assurance.

I strongly recommend HP makes links to these old versions available alongside their SHA256 signatures precisely to avoid the potentially disastrous hazard of downloading an infected version.

HP Recommended

@83bj60,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.