Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro series
Chrome OS

Introduction

My apologies. I have posted previously on the same topic (see this hyperlink) but my original investigation lacked rigour and my description lacked clarity so the problem remained unresolved. This new post is an attempt to correct the situation.

Issue Summary

HP Print for Chrome only allows printing in landscape format for graphic image files. With all other type of file I have examined (e.g. pdfs, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Google Drawings) the print dialogue offers no page orientation option, the page orientation defaults to portrait mode and central focus lateral cropping results as illustrated in this pdf example:

landscape_pdf_cropped.png

PDF demonstration test print source

The original pdf can be found here.

HP Print for Chrome versions affected

• All recent (including the latest) versions. The same behaviour recurred after re-installation.

Chrome device models tested

1. Toshiba Chromebook CB30-B-104

2. Samsung Chromebox XE-300-M22

3. HP Chromebox CB1-020NA

Printer models tested

1. HP Officejet Pro 8600+

2. HP Officejet Pro 8100e

PDF and PNG investigation

The print source example pdf map was downloaded to a Linux PC and the map exported to a png image using GIMP. Both the original pdf and the png image were transferred to SD card and then printed from each of the above listed Chrome devices to each of the above listed printers using HP Print for Chrome. The available print dialogue options and the final results are summarized in the following table:

table_1.png

Every landscape format page in every pdf document I have examined, has done the same thing.

Google Application investigation

HP Print for Chrome also failed to handle landscape format Google Applications documents properly. This behaviour is summarized by the following table:

table_2.png

(Columns 2-5: within each column, page orientation differed but the document data was unaltered.)

Conclusion

I have been more rigorous during this investigation, so I am convinced that the coding associated with landscape printing in HP Print For Chrome needs significant improvement. Unless someone can spot a flaw in the evidence I have presented here, please forward this to the appropriate team.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Final update  ("HP Print for Chrome" version 16.2.11).

The HP Print for Chrome landscape format issue now also appears to be fixed for PDF's, "Google Docs and "Google Sheets".

All landscape printing now appears to be working properly so sincere thanks to sandytechy20 for his valuable contribution towards resolving the issue completely. 

JBL11.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@JBL11

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help Sandytechy20,

I am currently in private messaging conversation with the HP contact that you put me in touch with. When/if there is anything significant to report, I will post an update here.

Regards, 

JBL11

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Is there a solution yet? 

HP Recommended

@JaneSmith

My apologies for the delay in my reponse to you but I have been enjoying an email-free holiday.

Here is a very brief summary of the private messaging mentioned above:

Someone from Executive Customer Relations private messaged me requesting additional information saying that he would forward it to un-named colleagues. I forwarded him the requested information on 03-29-2017 but I have heard nothing since then I'm afraid.

HP Recommended

Has this been fixed? I just finished my printer installation and can not print in landscape.

HP Recommended

The good news

The version of "HP Print for Chrome" that is currently installed on my Chrome devices, i.e. 16.2.9 (you can check the installed version at URL chrome://extensions) appears to have fixed the landscape printing problem for "Google Slides" and "Google Drawings".

The bad news

Nothing seems to have changed regarding PDFs, "Google Docs" and "Google Sheets".

HP Recommended

Final update  ("HP Print for Chrome" version 16.2.11).

The HP Print for Chrome landscape format issue now also appears to be fixed for PDF's, "Google Docs and "Google Sheets".

All landscape printing now appears to be working properly so sincere thanks to sandytechy20 for his valuable contribution towards resolving the issue completely. 

JBL11.

HP Recommended

We are running version 17.3.123 of HP Print for Chrome on Acer 24 Chromebase systems in public session using HP LJ Pro 400, 402 and 201 printers and we are still not seeing an orientation button to print in landscape.

HP Recommended

Hi DHTecSvc,

IMHO the issue you describe probably deserves an entirely new post in order to attract the best attention from the appropriate experts.

However, if it is any help to you, here is an example Chromebook/HPPFC print dialogue screenshot captured on 22 Nov 2017 whilst running version 17.3.123 in a home environment:

HPPFC_print_dialog_options_01.jpg

which suggests to me that your issue could be public session related but I am far from confident where that aspect of HPPFC is concerned.

JBL11

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.