Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

After installing the latest color laser jet firmware from HP , I got error 79 and turn on and off my color laserjet 2605dn all the time even I followed the instructions and tried to fix this error 79.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just got email from HP about the available of the old firmware below.

After having intalled the firmware, my printer finally run as normal before.

R K

Routine Driver Alert   May 29 2012       HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer Firmware Update Utility (ver 20071108)   Products: HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer series   OS: Windows       Description: This firmware update utility is for the HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers. The update is recommended for HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers that have a prior version. This utility updates the printer firmware to the latest version.  

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Good morning! Did you have any errors when installing the firmware? A 79 error is typically found by using older firmware. I suspect that you either had an older firmware of there was some sort of error when installing the firmware. What operating system are you using? 

Thanks

SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I had error 79 right after I applied the latest firmware (2605_Series_FW_Update-20120413.exe) downloaded from the HP web site. It's a windows 7 home premium 64 bit OS on the HP Pavilion dv6-2150us notebook.

Thanks.

R K

HP Recommended

Turn off the power by using the power switch, then remove the power cord and wait at least 30 seconds. Then turn on the power and wait for the device to initialize. If you have recently installed a memory DIMM in the device, turn off the device, remove the memory DIMM, reinstall the DIMM to verify that it is seated properly, and then turn on the device. If a surge protector is being used, remove it. Plug the device directly into the wall socket. Use the power switch to turn the device on.

79 Is a generic firmware error. If this does not fix it I would go ahead and redownload the firmware and try upgrading it again. its possible the download could have gotten corrupt during the download.

Hope this helps!

-SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I tried both way you mentioned a few times  yesterday already.

Do you by any chance have an old firmware for me to load it back?

Thanks.

R K

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, you are not alone...see all the posts under laserjet forum.  We are waiting on HP to fix this debacle!

HP Recommended

I just got email from HP about the available of the old firmware below.

After having intalled the firmware, my printer finally run as normal before.

R K

Routine Driver Alert   May 29 2012       HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer Firmware Update Utility (ver 20071108)   Products: HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer series   OS: Windows       Description: This firmware update utility is for the HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers. The update is recommended for HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers that have a prior version. This utility updates the printer firmware to the latest version.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that follow up. If you ever have any other questions or issues dont hesitate to post them.

Thanks!

Sean

HP Recommended

Hello, I have exactly the same error but I can't update with the old firmware because is rebooting and rebooting. Could you explain how got update the old firmware?

I have no memory installed in my printer.

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

This says "Solved" but the given link in now dead:HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer Firmware Update Utility (ver 20071108)  

Is there a real solution to this bad firmware?  I'm a teacher and this printer was purchased with bond money to enable students to produce quality work.  I was able to use it ONE time before it quit because of this firmware.  Can someone please help the children (me too)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.