Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 5850
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded to Windows 10. Since then I can't print to my HP deskjet 5850 printer. It sees it as a device but not as a printer. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @HMIC,

I noticed your post about the issues you're facing with using your Deskjet 5850 with Windows 10. After checking out the supported printer models for Windows 10, unfortunately the Deskjet 5850 is not supported. The best option you have would be to plug in the printer to see if that works, and if not, you are most likely looking at a printer upgrade. Although this isn't the greatest news, I hope I helped answer your question!

5850.PNG

HP Printers - HP Printers That Work with Windows 10

If you wish to contact HP to inquire about any upgrade or trade in options that may be available with them, here is their contact information:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

HappyGreatday4.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @HMIC,

I noticed your post about the issues you're facing with using your Deskjet 5850 with Windows 10. After checking out the supported printer models for Windows 10, unfortunately the Deskjet 5850 is not supported. The best option you have would be to plug in the printer to see if that works, and if not, you are most likely looking at a printer upgrade. Although this isn't the greatest news, I hope I helped answer your question!

5850.PNG

HP Printers - HP Printers That Work with Windows 10

If you wish to contact HP to inquire about any upgrade or trade in options that may be available with them, here is their contact information:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear.

HappyGreatday4.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I was able to install and use my Deskjet 5850 by using the HP Officejet Pro 3620 Class driver. It seems to work fine using black ink. I do not know about color. Best of luck to you. BTW I am in the US not Israel

HP Recommended

have to reply to my own post. after using the printer it arbitralily spits out three identical pages that say

GET /DevMgmt/ProductConfigDyn.xml  HTTP/1.1

HOST:

Get  /DevMgmt/ProductConfigCap.xml  HTTP/1.1

HOST:

I am assuming this driver could be tweaked to work correctly?

HP Recommended

Here's how I got my hp deskjet 5850 to work with Windows 10:

The USB connection doesn't seem to work at all so I connected it to my

router (which connects all my home network devices) via an ethernet cable.

Unplug the printer's power cable and plug it back in (not sure if this was necessary).

Hit the network button (the button with the check mark on it (I didn't even know that existed before!)).

A page should print out which shows an IP Address something like 192.168.1.33.

In Windows 10, open the control panel and navigate to Printers and Scanners.

Click "Add a Printer", wait a few moments, and then click on "The printer I want isn't listed".

Select the "Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname" option.

Click Next.

Enter your printer's IP address in the "Hostname or IP address" box.

Click Next.

In the list on the left select "HP".

In the list on the right select "HP Deskjet 5700 Series (HPA)".

Click Next a few more times.

Click "Print Test Page".

You should be good to go.

I think the general idea is that if your specific printer isn't supported, you may be able to get it to work by selecting something close.  In this case the HP 5700 series is pretty close to the HP 5800 series.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

This is all you need to do the get your 5850 to hook up and print properly.

First I hook up to my router with ethernet cable.

Try to add printer from devices page.

I won't find it.

So click on " The printer I want insn't listed"

The check - my printer is a little older help me find it.

Next

If it doesn't find it or even if it does Click on windows update.

When it is done you will see under

HP

"hp deskjet 5600 series (HPA)"  click on it and then click next.

You then pick if you want it shared or not , name ect.

print test page to make sure your good.

Hope this helps.

I didn't see the hp deskjet 5600 series (HPA) drver until i clicked on windows update. I'm not sure if I missed it or not or if it showed up afterwards. I don't think it was there.  I was there in my windows 7 file before i updated to windows 10. But then I have been having som senior moments.

HP Recommended

tried as suggested but deskjet 5700 is not coming its stop at 5600 only

HP Recommended

tried as suggested but deskjet 5700 is not coming its stop at 5600 only

HP Recommended

Use 5600. You will have to use your network cable to be plugged in to printer sorry if I forgot to say that before. But printer works perfectly with 5600 hpa driver.

HP Recommended

Following a massive Windows 10 update on 23 / 24 September the alternative printer driver I was using also disappeared.  Tried the Officejet pro but printer at intervals spews out another page of technical information.  Cannot find a driver that supports double sided printing.  Any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.