Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am an IT support technician. HP has good hardware, but their software sucks. When you want a driver, you just want a driver, and not a bunch of useless junk that slows the computer down and irritates the user.

Today I had a another HP driver problem:

The driver had a size of 362MB, so I first tried an all-in-one driver. This driver took over the other Kyocera driver and when I printed to the HP, it printed on the Kyocera.

So, I downloaded the driver and installed it. It installed a whole bunch of useless crap on the computer, including about 10 icons on the desktop and adverts for HP products. It took a very long time to install, possibly because I had no Internet connection and the software was trying to update itself without timing out easily.

In the end there was no HP printer icon in Print Manager and I had to reinstall the Kyocera driver.

I've had many other problems with other HP software and drivers. About 95% of the HP software that comes with a new notebook is not only completely useless, but also irritates the living @#$ out of any user and slows the computer down.

For this reason I have deceided not to buy any HP products ever again. I will also recommend the same for all my customers.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I agree that the equipment is good, and the software is less so. But to my mind the worst aspect of HP is the support. Mac software download webpages with several versions and no clue as to which one to get was one issue. For me the final straw was a very lengthy email exchange with so-called HP support people who did not read the details of my problem, answered questions I had not asked, told me that what I had done successfully was not possible, told me that a CM1312nfi MFP printer was not an MFP printer, and if I thought it was should go back to the store and ask (it says right on the printer it's MFP!), and totally failed to provide any meaningful support in spite of extreme repetition and patience on my part. After decades of purchasing HP printers, I will never buy another one - it's just too aggravating. Which is too bad because the hardware is good. Also I note a Consumers Report magazine that for laptops HP support is rated significantly lower than other well known brands. 

HP Recommended

Hennie I agree with you 100%.  I just bought a new laptop, and I find out that Microsoft Office Document Imaging has been removed in ver 2010 and Windows Fax and Scan is very limited.  So I have no choice but to download and install the HP software for my all-in-one.  Now there are more than 10 HP processes running and using memory, and the software doesn't even work!  All I want is to scan and it keeps freezing! , so now I am stuck with a new computer bogged down by worthless and cumbersome HP crap software.  HP, please stick with the hardware and only issue [working] drivers for your equipment.   No one wants your P.O.S. software!!!!

HP Recommended

I was given an HP C4680.   Some gift.  Won't scan, all the same issues with intrusive, excessive crap software listed by others.   I've been on this scanning debacle for an hour, now I'm thinking anybody else has got to be better than HP.  Plus a quick google search has these same issues going back years.  It would be one thing if HP stuff just worked.   How can it be this bad for 5 years?    

HP Recommended

I agree with you three years later.  I truly dislike sitting for hours watching a bloated printer install fail.  Maybe if there weren't alread built-in photo viewers on most all pcs I would be forced to use the software that comes with HP printers.  All I want to do is print to this floggin printer.  Just load a basic driver and be done.  If I need more "features" I should be able to load them later, not 250 Meg on the first pass.  HP, you truly suck in the software side.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.