Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP5740e all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently had an issue where printing from pdf documents came out as unreadable solid lines of ink. I narrowed this down to only occurring with particular fonts and only from a particular pdf reader and only on my hp printer. I suspect this was caused by software updates but I don't know if it was windows 10 updates or adobe updates or some other updates. I now just avoid using the problem fonts.

Anyway to try to resolve this issue I decided to uninstall my hp 5740e software and reinstall the software hoping to fix the issue. Unfortunately it did not fix the issue but has left we with a worse problem.

Having resinstalled the software I could not add my printer as a wireless printer from the HP Print assistant. It added fine as a usb printer and as a web printer but not as wireless.

I added the printer as wireless via the windows devices & printers control panel OK. It prints wirelesslessly and via web printing so the physical connectivity is fine.

I really want it recognised by the HP print assistant so that I can scan from the desktop.

When I go to add the printer as a wireless printer it finds the device OK showing its ip and mac then goes on installing the printer and returns with installation of device unsuccessful and shows the red x between the router and the printer.

Any ideas? It was working fine before I reinstalled the printer software.

Any other way to scan from desktop without using the HP print assistant?

Any assistnce to resolve will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Phlipper

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Let us know if that works!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have installed but when I open the scan application is says "The HP imaging device was not found."

I can't see any options to add my printer to the application.

I can ping the printer from windows by ip and print from windows so the physical connectivity should be OK.

Not sure how this scan app finds "the HP imagining device"

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi @Phlipper

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Let us know if that works!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

I used the troubleshooter to uninstall, rebooted, downloaded full feature from hp web and installed.

Added the wireless printer OK.

Guess I should have tried uninstalling and reinstalling when it first did not work and that may have fixed it then else the full feature file has been fixed since I downloded it. Anyway all good at ths stage.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Phlipper,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.