Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7612
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Having horrible problems getting my HP7612 working through the wireless network. I have been messing with this for a month now.

Current configuration is

Desktop PC running Win7 64 bit SP2. Connected via ethernet cable to wireless router. This is the computer that I used to install all software. I used the online method to install everything.

Several other laptops, tablets... are connected to the wireless network.

So right now the only way I can get printouts in a reasonable time frame is to connect using USB. Problem with this is everytime I print something I get a popup message "Cannot Communicate with Printer".  I have to wait until the current printout completes and then close this window before the next print job can start.

I cannot scan to computer.

The printer is connected to the network, blue light on, but if I try to print from any other device it says the printer is "Offline"

If I set the desktop to print over the network it takes 5min before the printout commences and still cannot scan.

I printout the Wireless Network Test and everything appears fine.

I had a HP7500 printer prior to this that worked flawlessly. Hope somebody can help because I'm I ready to pitch this thing out the window.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you ensure that the latest Firmware is updated for your printer?

Also, to use Scan to Computer, you will need to have te FULL feature software installed.

Use this link to get the software and firmware:

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer

How to use "Scan to Computer" properly

Once you have your printer setup via network, we'll suggest that you try to use a TCP/IP port:

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you ensure that the latest Firmware is updated for your printer?

Also, to use Scan to Computer, you will need to have te FULL feature software installed.

Use this link to get the software and firmware:

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer

How to use "Scan to Computer" properly

Once you have your printer setup via network, we'll suggest that you try to use a TCP/IP port:

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

HP Recommended

I tried the solution proposed and installed all the software again but no luck. I even tried installing using a brand new HP Spectre laptop and no go.

So I did a complete reset, uninstalled everything, did a factory reset on the printer, reconnecting it to the wireless network and then reinstalling all the software.

Right now printing from all the network computers is working and I can scan to my desktop. For some reason I can't get ePrint Services working not sure why but that function is not important to me.

Thanks for the advice.

HP Recommended

Hi @BobW99,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.