Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I try to print photos from the computer with "4x6" and "hp photo paper" selected, the printer prints 4x6 size on the plain printer paper, NOT the photo paper. If I remove the plain 8.5x11 paper, it won't print at all, just says "paper tray empty". How do I get this to work?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I cannot print from paper tray.  I've tried the solutions on the page bob headrick provides except for unplugging the printer, which I refuse to do.  All of the printers and PCs I've had for the last 10 years have been HPs but  this 6510 all in one is one indication of the extent the hp has gone down hill.   I will not buy another product from them in the future. 

In the mean, I am stuck with this new machine so am I just up the creek?

CDW
HP Recommended

I just spent a l-o-n-g time with an HP tech person and finally got my 6510 to print to photo tray. 

Try this: on printer display click on the wrench at top >preferences > click down arrow > External Device Printing > Prompt for Tray.  close and try printing your photo. 

If that doesn't work, call 1-800-474-6836

Carol

CDW
HP Recommended

I could not print  saved photos on my computer to photo paper. Spent a long time trying all cures listed on line. Nothing worked. I finally made these  adjustments. Now it prints fine.

What I daid was:

1)   Opened Control panel

2 )  Opened "Printer folder"

3)   Made sure my 6510 was listed as default printer

4)   "RIGHT" clicked  printer icon and clicked "Run as administrator"...... clicked   "Properties"

5)   Clicked  "Continue" when Windows asks for permission to continue

6)  Clicked   "Printing Preferences"

This gave me 2 menues to choose from.    Layout.... and.... Paper /Quality.

Clicked on "PAPER /Quality"

7) For Paper Source   selected  "Photo Tray"

For Paper size   selected 4x6in (tab)

For Media    selected HP Advanced Photo Papers

For Quality Settings   selected "Best"

😎 Clicked on "Apply" in lower right corner of the window.

9) Clicked  "OK"  then "OK" on the next screen to close the printer windows

I can now print my saved Photos on Photo Paper. Hope it helps you.

HP Recommended

Hi I have a H P 6510 which wont print 6 x 4 photo paper when selected in my mac print settings?

HP Recommended

Hi Fred52,

I understand you're having issues printing 4x6 photos with your Photosmart 6510 on your Mac computer. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues but will certainly do my best to help.

I just have a few questions so that I can help better!

What version of Mac is on your computer? (If you're not sure, click your Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen and go to About This Mac and it will show you on that screen)

What is happening when you try to print the photo? Do you get an error?

How is the printer connected to the computer? (USB or wireless?)

Once I have this information I should be able to help!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.