Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
4650 OfficeJet
Microsoft Windows XP

I have an old Dell Optiplex running Windows XP on which I have my Quicken checkbook.   This machine is not and will never be connected to the Internet.  I am trying to install the 4650 software on it from the CD, but it insists on a final step which is registration via the Internet.   What to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi DocCottle,

It seems I have figured out the problem.  I was running XP SP2.  I upgraded to SP3 and voila!  the printer now works perfectly.  Sorry to have left out the SP2 detail when I asked for help, but your help was much appreciated nevertheless.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @ddgle1,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with installing your Officejet 4650 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that.

If you have reached the registration pages, the software for the printer has already been installed. If you close the installer at this point, you will be able to use the printer with no issues.

Please let me know if this resolves your issues. If it does, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the printer installed, and it shows up on my list of printers.  I can right click and get the properties menus, and it is set to the default printer and shows as ready.   If I go into Notepad and select print, I can get the popup for this printer.  But when I click print in Notepad, I get a "The handle is invalid" message.   No program can successfully send anything to the printer.

HP Recommended

Alright, the next thing to do would be to run the Print and Scan Doctor. You can find it by clicking on this link. The Print and Scan Doctor will either resolve your printing issue, or it will provide you with a list of issues it could not resolve. Please let me know the results after running the tool.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi DocCottle,

It seems I have figured out the problem.  I was running XP SP2.  I upgraded to SP3 and voila!  the printer now works perfectly.  Sorry to have left out the SP2 detail when I asked for help, but your help was much appreciated nevertheless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.