Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Printer C5200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been trying to use ABBYY Finereader 6.0 to scan and read using the C 5200 scan function and I can see the process happening (I think. The scan happens anyway, in response to the "scan and read" instruction in ABBYY Finereader). On screen is the final document. How do I get it into Open Office, my document writing system? There is no option on offer for doing so in the printer software. What "buttons" must I press and in what order?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please save the scanned documents on your computer first and after that you can use Open Office (or other software) to read. ABBY Finereader 6.0 supports the following formats

Supported Export Formats

ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint/Sprint Plus saves recognition results in the following formats:

RTF

Rich Text Format

TXT

Plain Text

XLS

Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet

PDFPortable Document Format, text under image (only for FineReader 6.0 Sprint Plus) 
HTML

HyperText Markup Language (only for registered users).

You can save as one of the above formats which is sutable for your Open Office software and import/read scanned files.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Anaglypta,

1. Yes the options explained by banhien are good.

2. Try to export the document with RTF option.

3. Then open in the OppenOffice.

* Click on KUDOS star to say thanks  :smileywink:     

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.  

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif 

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. However, how do I proceed from having the scanned (and read?) document on my PC screen to getting it on to the PC? The active screen is the PC one belonging to the C5200 and there is no option on it for transferring the image to my PC. So what can I do?

HP Recommended

What I cannot express very well is that all the data on my screen relates to the C5200, just as if I had got it there by doing a normal SCAN without using Finereader. Therefore there is no means shown on screen for transferring the image to th PC. Are you saying I must have got that wrong and that there should be such means shown? You may be right but I don'y think so at this juncture.

HP Recommended

OK. I have visited this problem again and I agree there is a button offering to send the scanned document to the PC's file but when I open it I find it has not been read using the OCR of Finereader. It is just an ordinary scanned document. It's more or less a picture of the original document so it cannot have individual letters edited for example. With OCR this full type of editing is possible. I requested  SCAN AND READ but all I got was SCAN. What's going wrong?

HP Recommended

Hello again, Now I've read other questions and replies on this forum I've realised that I must open SCAN on the C5200 and select SCAN WITH OCR. Unfortunately that option isn't available with my C5200. So my next question is" is the C5200 compatible with TWAIN or with WAI?" The point is that ABBYY Finereader is compatible with all printers which are themselves compatible with TWAIN or WAI. So what's the answer, guys?

HP Recommended

Could the failure of Open Office on my PC to open the scanned (and possibly read?) document in the C5200  be due to not having the right drivers in the HP C5200 and therefore OO not receiving it from there? Or is it because C5200 is not TWAIN or WIA compatible?

HP Recommended

My last 5 replies came from myself. To make me a tutor based on that is stupid.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.