Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer was installed 6 month ago, wireless,  with default name HP ENVY 5540 Series (Network).

When recently checking internet speed on BT website after upgrade, I continued and clicked to check wireless speed on printer connection. Without asking this installed additional drivers and created a duplicate printer HP C8692E (HP ENVY 5540 Series).

The duplicate does not have its own icon in Printers Window, but when I want to use the printer it keeps telling me I have duplicates and asks which one I want. The duplicate can be seen listed under several actions when right clicking on the printer in the printers windows.

How can I delete this duplicate as when I use printer it keeps saying I have duplicate, which one do I want.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks but I gave up with HP Support when they came back and wanted to fiddle around trying to add the missing bits again. I asked why they did not uninstall everything and start again. They were not happy about doing that but said I could try if I wanted and would phone again tomorrow

How much training or technical knowledge do the HP support people actually have I wonder!

Anyway with printer off, I uninstalled every bit of HP software using control panel\add remove programs then removed printer from Printers windows.

Then switched on Printer and did a complete installation as if it were just outof the box and it worked fine and all is back working as it should.

Not bad result for a 70 year old and an IT novice

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

One  easy way is to select the printer properties and attempt to print. The one that prints is the one you keep and you can delete the other one.

If things break, you can always uninstall and reinstall.

This resource will show you how it's done:

How to Uninstall Download & Reinstall a Printer software 

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks, but first of all both will print but in any case as their is only 1 icon how can you delete the one i dont want?

I have had HP support on the phone and connected to my Pc for over an hour who have installed and uninstalled but it fails to reinstall correctly with a script error when it tries to activate. Also no printer icon appears in printer window at all.

They ried then adding printer using add printer, that still showed 3 printers available but in them installed i Printer Window but no Printer Manager is installed for easy scanning and other functions such as Instant Ink.

They are now going to phone back later.

It seems as if it needs a complete removal of everything HP and then try a new installation again. Is there a HP removal tool that will scrub everything HP

HP Recommended

Apologies for typos. Corrected version

Thanks, but first of all both will print but in any case as there is only 1 icon how can I just delete the one i dont want?

I have had HP support on the phone and connected to my Pc for over an hour who have installed and uninstalled but it fails to reinstall correctly with a script error when it tries to activate. Also no printer icon appears in printer window at all.

They tried then adding printer using add printer, that still showed 2 printers available but it then installed in Printer Window but no Printer Manager is installed for easy scanning and other functions such as Instant Ink.

They are now going to phone back later.

It seems as if it needs a complete removal of everything HP and then try a new installation again. Is there a HP removal tool that will scrub everything HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Let us know if that works!

HP Recommended

Thanks but I gave up with HP Support when they came back and wanted to fiddle around trying to add the missing bits again. I asked why they did not uninstall everything and start again. They were not happy about doing that but said I could try if I wanted and would phone again tomorrow

How much training or technical knowledge do the HP support people actually have I wonder!

Anyway with printer off, I uninstalled every bit of HP software using control panel\add remove programs then removed printer from Printers windows.

Then switched on Printer and did a complete installation as if it were just outof the box and it worked fine and all is back working as it should.

Not bad result for a 70 year old and an IT novice

HP Recommended

Hi @Brixhamboy@

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.