Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have had a C5180 for years and every so often it stops scanning or printing so I have to reinstall the printer. This time I can never get past the point at which it has detected the wired connection, identified the printer and then starts installing the SW. At this step it sits there at 50% for ages and then aborts after about 10 minutes. I have tried lots and lots of times. I have uninstalled again, restarted the PC, etc etc but nothing helps. I talk to it via the IP address of the printer in my browser. That’s not problem. But the SW just won’t install. Can anyone help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dnewport

Thank you for the update.

I understand that the above steps didn't resolve the

I recommend you to contact phone support for available service options.

Use the link below to get in touch with them.

Technical support link: www.hp.com/contacthp

If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello@dnewport

Welcome to the HP Forums.I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.As I understand you have installation issues on C5180 Photosmart printer.I'll be more than glad to help you out.

Let's try to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver software by the following method.

Step 1:

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer.

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step2: Then try to install the full feature software through the HP website: Click here

Let me know how it goes, cheers:)

Have a nice day and great year ahead.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That didn't work unfortunately. I have had repeated problems with my printer. Sometimes the scanning wouldn't work and it would complain that it could not find the SW and loads of other stuff. I have spent many evenings and days uninstalling and reinstalling. I have even had to go through the registry at times to remove all things HP just to get the installation to work. So I decided yesterday to buy a new printer which arrived this morning. I bought a HP ENVY 7640. Even then the installation was problematic. The printer kept on going offline. I found the solution here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Attention-required-windows-10-laserjet-1606dn/td-p/53.... I am a SW engineer with 38 years experience so these things don't phase me too much but I wonder what happens to normal people when faced with such problems ?  Anyway, one thing I would like advice on is the following. I uninstalled all the C5180 SW before installing the new printer but if I run the Print and Scan Doctor 5.0 it lists my new printer plus 3 entries for my old printer. Any idea where this data comes from and how to remove it ?  In fact the entries look like:

C5100,192.168.1.10, e.g. the C5100 is the printer and the rest is the IP address. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@dnewport

Thanks for replying with the information.

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have done a great job.

I see that you're getting the printer offline error message, let's try to fix the issue by assigning the static IP address and manual DNS address.

Try the steps below.

* Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

* Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

* Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

* Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

* Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance, cheers 🙂

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I resolved the issue by assigning another port as per the solution I referred to in my last post. But if I get this issue again then I will assign a static IP address. 

Can you help with the other issue I raised about the multiple entries I still see for my old C5180 ?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@dnewport

Please refer my previous post about uninstalling the printer driver software.It should take care of your concern.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Have a nice day, cheers:)

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I deleted all the C5180 devices from the device manager. In the Devices & Printers tab of the control panel there is no old C5180 devices listed but still when I run the Print and Scan Doctor I see 3 C5100 devices.

Any idea about how to remove these ?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey@dnewport

Thank you for the reply.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

On your PC go to Devices and printers>>Printer server properties>>Drivers (Remove the files related to C5180 devices and when you hit on the remove Pop gives you two options select Remove driver and driver package)>>Select Ok.

Let me know how it goes, cheers 🙂

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had already deleted the printer drivers for the C5180 and after that the HP Print & Scan Doctor still showed 3 versions of this printer. But I found some drivers under the Imaging Devices and when I uninstalled them, then the HP Print & Scan Doctor just showed my new ENVY printer. So it all seems to be clean now.

Just one other question. When you said that assigning a static IP address is the best thing to do, is this the recommended thing for wifi printers ?  I got the impression from some friends who have wifi printers that allowing dynamic IP address allocation usually works fine.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@dnewport

I understand that the above steps didn't resolve the

I recommend you to contact phone support for available service options.

Use the link below to get in touch with them.

Technical support link: www.hp.com/contacthp

If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.