Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Plugged my Laserjet 1300 into my new computer (System 7) via USB- and Windows couldn't find the right driver for it.

I canceled Windows trying to install driver automatically, and put original CD driver disk (Serial #Q1334-60107 ver 2.0) into drive-
but couldn't get Windows to recognize printer, even after re-boots.

Since I bought printer a while ago, I checked for updated drivers online, that would be 64 bit.

I installed this one:
upd-pcl5-x64-5.4.0.11744.exe

During driver install I plugged in printer & turned it on at what i thought was right time. I see this:
"HP Universal Printing PCL 5" as printer- but it won't print.

Tried Windows 'Uninstall' feature but it doesn't show the driver, to un-install it- OR where the driver's located.

** QUESTIONS: How do I Un-Install the driver? Do I use upd-pcl5-x64-5.4.0.11744.exe OR original disk driver #Q1334-60107 ver 2.0?

What's the procedure for installing this?- I can't find anything, despite an afternoon of Googling.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you follow this guide to install the print? Installing LaserJet 1300 on Windows 7

You should not need to navigate to the driver you download. Actually stick it in the trash can for now :robotvery-happy: When you selecet "Add a Printer" you need to select "Add a local printer." Ignore the writing to the right, that only applies if everything is working properly. If you follow the guide at the top it should get installed properly.

No need to feel foolish and no problem at all for helping. Thats what I am here for :robotwink:

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Here is a video showing you how to uninstall the print driver:

Once  you sucessfully uninstall the driver you can install the driver through Windows Update. The driver for this printer is built into Windows 7 and you dont need to download anything. Heres the link on how to install the printer using Windows Update: HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, and LaserJet AiO/MFP Products - Install the driver included in the Wind...

Hope this helps!

-SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi again- The Video doesn't help. The Printer Driver *doesn't show* when I do Uninstall Programs...

- Under: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
It shows (with a Big Exclammation Point on it) as:
HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (Copy 1)

- Is it safe for me to Right-Click the icon and simply choose *Delete*?

I had Windows 'troubleshoot'- but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

You are safe to right click and select delete :robothappy: That will remove that driver and allow you to reinstall the driver for the printer.

Thanks!

SeanS

HP Recommended
It keeps coming back. I Right-Click, Choose DELETE DEVICE, then the icon disappears. But when I re-start my computer, it's back again.
HP Recommended

Did you have the USB cable from the printer disconnected from the computer when you deleted the device? Make sure it is disconnect from the computer then delete the device. After it is deleted power down the computer and wait a slow 10 seconds. Then turn it back on. One the computer is fully restarted then you can reconnect the printer.

Thanks,

SeanS

HP Recommended
Yes, I did that: disconnected USB from computer, and all the rest, just like you said. Driver came back. I still have the upd-pcl5-x64-5.4.0.11744.exe file sitting on my desktop. It shouldn't be affecting this- but I'll delete *that* too, and try it again.
HP Recommended

Lets try removing the driver from the print server properties. 

1. Click the Start orb and select "Devices and Printers"

2. On the top bar in the there is an option for "Print Server Properties"

3. Select the "Driver Tab"

4. Highlight the printer/driver and then click "Remove"

See if this can get rid of it. We just need to get rid of it long enough to allow for a proper install of the driver. Once it is gone follow this guide on how to install the printer: HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, and LaserJet AiO/MFP Products - Install the driver included in the Wind...

-Sean

HP Recommended

I found the problem. I deleted some documents that were qeued to print- & *then* i was able to delete the driver.

*NEW* Problem:
Devices & Printers Folder now shows:
"Printers & Fax:"
Microsoft XPS Document Writer & Fax- & under that, as UNSPECIFIED, HP Laserjet 1300. (Its' icon says UNKNOWN.)

- I still can't print, though.

When I click Windows Update (at the right time), I get: There ARE NO important updates.

When i click FIND PRINTER, I navigated to THIS- C:\HP Universal Print Driver AND this folder-
pcl5-x64-5.4.0.11744

but the folders Dot4, AMD64 & XP in there are empty.

"Add A Printer" choice 1 says "if you DON'T have a USB"- & 2 says "for network"- neither are appropriate.

Thanks for all your help btw, I'll probably foolish when this is all over.

HP Recommended

Did you follow this guide to install the print? Installing LaserJet 1300 on Windows 7

You should not need to navigate to the driver you download. Actually stick it in the trash can for now :robotvery-happy: When you selecet "Add a Printer" you need to select "Add a local printer." Ignore the writing to the right, that only applies if everything is working properly. If you follow the guide at the top it should get installed properly.

No need to feel foolish and no problem at all for helping. Thats what I am here for :robotwink:

-Sean

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.