Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet M426fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed the M426 using an ip address thru a wired connection. I found the driver on the cd. I need to install the scanner software that came with the machine. The install fails with an unknown error. How do I just install the scanner software?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is Windows 10 listed as a supported operating system on the CD label?

If not, download and install the latest Windows 10 software below and check for any difference:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61846/ma-149294-2/HP_LJ_Pro_MFP_M426f-M427f-PCL-6_Modern...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. HP lists this software as Windows 10 compatible. I tried from the disk that came with the printer and then downloaded the software also. Both times the software installs fine, but when you hook up the printer with the usb cable, it takes about 10-15 minutes sensing the printer, the software install indicates it is 99% complete, and then it fails with unknown error. Thanks, HP! Kind of sad to roll back to Windows 7 just because my printer is not compatible.

HP Recommended

I'm having this exact same issue.  Was this ever resolved?

HP Recommended

I have a customer for whom we've recently purchased this same unit. They have 3 windows 10 PCs. I was able to install the software directly from the disk onto one machine and the downloaded software/drivers from the HP support website to another machine. 

The 3rd machine however is proving to be more troublesome. Whether the install disk is used or the downloaded drivers/software the install starts, preps, gives the options for what options (OCR, Scan, drivers etc) then counts up to 100% (just prior to looking for the machine on the network) then errors out with an undefined error. 

This particular WIN10 desktop had/has another small HP laser printer (also networked) which had the exact same issue straight out of the box. Undefined error after the intial startup of the install software. 

The only thing that stands out is that the service 'PrintNotify' has an error code associated with it and is in a manual state. When you try to start it there is an 'error 126 :module not found' error. No idea if this is associated with the issue but seemed worth mentioning

On a slightly vexing note a temp Canon printer (they needed something for a few days until the M426 came in) installed perfectly with no errors. So we're stuck atm.

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  I downloaded the latest software off HP's site (updated at the end of March) and it installs fine until it gets to the very end and failes.  Have tried again after restart. 

HP Recommended

The issue was solved here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/M477-software-installation-fails-at-99/td...

The problem is that as soon as you plug in the printer/scanner WIndows 10 connects the windows driver to the device so when the install gets to the point where the HP software wants to copy their own driver to the PC, it freezes up so there is already one there.  The solution is to update the driver with the HP driver while it's slowly trying to install the device. As soon as I tried this the printer installed immediately.  Check out the link above to figure out how it's done.

HP Recommended

Same problem. No troubleshooting suggestion has worked so far!!! 

HP Recommended

bad link.  No driver version can see my M26fdw on the network.  USB-A cable does not go into the USB port on the back.  This printer is now useless.  I should not have bought HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.