Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 9800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am looking for the actual driver download for the old HP Deskjet 9800 printer. Yes, I realize there isn't a W10 driver for this probably. But, I can't find actual drivers for this printer in ANY O/S anywhere. When I go to the download page, it seems to be more worthless than yesterday's New York Times. 

Can someone point me to an actual file for whatever the most recent O/S it had drivers for? I'm presuming either W7 or W8 would be the likely culprit.

I have to pretend my HP 8600 is the older model because HP, in their infinite wisdom, decided we didn't need to be able to enter custom paper sizes in out printer. Wish I'd known that before I bought the thing. But, that's another long story not worth getting into.

In February 2014 I successfully used the 9800 drivers to be able to print my sister's wedding invitations so I know it works. But, I can't find the drivers I downloaded at that point, for whatever reason; and I've reformatted my drive since then. 😞

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Yes, the DJ9800 driver is available in Win 10 IN-OS drivers.

You may watch this resource or follow the steps below:

Installing an In-OS driver

Follow these steps

1. Right-click on the Start button (Windows icon)  select "Control Panel"

2. Under "Control Panel", select "View devices and printers"

3. Select "Add a printer"

4. If it finds your printer (assume you have your printer plug in via USB on your computer), follow the steps to install the In-OS drivers.  Else, select "The printer that I want isn't listed" > Next

5. In teh next screen, select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"  > Next

6. Select "Use an existing port:" > Next

7. Select HP > HP Deskjet 9800 Printer  (we would recommend that you click on "Windows Update" as it would bring up the HP Deskjet 9800 Printer (HP) option.  Note that the "Windows Update" may take up to 10 minsutes depending on how fast your broadband speed is"

8.  Click "Next" and follow the remaining steps to install your printer driver.

On your other query that you mentioned regarding Custom paper Size, this resource would show you how to create one and use on your printer.

Creating a Custom Paper Size for your Printer

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Yes, the DJ9800 driver is available in Win 10 IN-OS drivers.

You may watch this resource or follow the steps below:

Installing an In-OS driver

Follow these steps

1. Right-click on the Start button (Windows icon)  select "Control Panel"

2. Under "Control Panel", select "View devices and printers"

3. Select "Add a printer"

4. If it finds your printer (assume you have your printer plug in via USB on your computer), follow the steps to install the In-OS drivers.  Else, select "The printer that I want isn't listed" > Next

5. In teh next screen, select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"  > Next

6. Select "Use an existing port:" > Next

7. Select HP > HP Deskjet 9800 Printer  (we would recommend that you click on "Windows Update" as it would bring up the HP Deskjet 9800 Printer (HP) option.  Note that the "Windows Update" may take up to 10 minsutes depending on how fast your broadband speed is"

8.  Click "Next" and follow the remaining steps to install your printer driver.

On your other query that you mentioned regarding Custom paper Size, this resource would show you how to create one and use on your printer.

Creating a Custom Paper Size for your Printer

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks Greenturtle!!

I had tried the Windows Update feature last night. But, it seemed like it had stalled out, and W10 has no progress bar saying that it is working. 

It still slays me that you guys don't have a direct download of the driver somewhere on the page. Additionally, all I see if n/a when I go there so it makes it seem like nothing is available.

I'd suggest whomever is doing your website change that to show that's available through the process you just mentioned. Would sure help a lot of frustrated people. I definitely remember downloading a file two years ago.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. We attached the screenshot of the Win 10 in-OS driver which shows the Deskjet 9800 (HP) software  for your inspiration 🙂

Need patience for the Windows Update as it may take a long time for some computers.

Hope that helps!

Deskjet 9800.jpg

HP Recommended

Windows 10 does not have the Deskjet 9800 as a driver option to add, i searched the list of supported drivers for windows 10 and it is not there either. I have exhaustedly search for this driver and it is non existant. Can you help locating the download??

HP Recommended

Hi @MItchkhn

Thanks for your feedback.

The post we had earlier WAS how we located the IN-OS drivers for the deskjet 9800 on a WIN 10 PC.

Can you try again?

The in-OS drivers is defintely there as it is in Win 10 OS.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.