Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@DRK31

“I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.”

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI,

do we have a solution for this problem?

I also have two different computers running Windows 10 64bit and the same problem as the other users here.

The installation of the driver failed and I am unable to use the HP Color Laserjet MFP M477.

What's worse: the software was available earlier and now way to recover.

On system A (normal PC) I did a manual deinstallation and then downloaded the file HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL-6_Print_Driver_16124.exe from http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7326587&swItemId=t2_149283_3&swEnvOid=419...

On system B (laptop) the "HP Support Assistance" tool informed me about the update and I started the update there.

On both systems: the installer starts fine, finds my network connected printer and starts the installation. The installation goes from 1-11% and then suddenly claims to be finished. I get the page to set this as my default printer and print a testpage but nothing happens here. The installer thinks everything is ok while in fact nothing was installed. The new printer is not visible and neither are the rest of the utilities installed.

Restarting the installation comes up with the message that the previous installation failed, the partially installed software is uninstalled, the system is rebooted and then we are again in the situation where the install fails after about 11% as described above.

How can we solve this? Previously I was able to use the HP printer to print and scan but this is gone. How do I get back the "HPCLJM477 Scan Driver" application?

Best regards,

Drusus1

HP Recommended

And just an additional information: after the quoted 11% of the installation the installer even shows a green checked point claiming that the installation was sucessfull - which is clearly not the case at all.

HP Recommended

Try this...

(1) Open a web browser and go to your printers web page, assuming your printer is connected over your local network.

(2) Click on the Networking tab

(3) Scroll down to "Other Settings"

(4) Check "Restore all network settings to their factory default values"

(5) Click on Apply

Install the software

Worked for me hopfully for you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

this did not helped. The customized setting were using a fixed IP and changing them to defaults did not changed anything here.

Note that the installer IS finding the printer and I am able to select the printer. So the printer settings are vey unlikely the problem here.

Bye,

Drusus.

HP Recommended

Issue was finally solved using the following steps (on Windows 10 64bit):

1) Start the installation/upgrade which exits at 11% claiming that everything is ok

2) Reboot the system just to see that the installation in step 1) did not worked

3) Restart the installation which will then let you know that the first installation failed and a deinstall starts

4) After the desinstallation in step 3) is finished the system needs to be rebooted

5) After the reboot the printer queue is still there. Go to Settings -> Devices -> Printer & Scanners, select the printer and use "remove device"

6) Go to Settings -> System -> Apps & features, select "I.R.I.S. OCR" and uninstall

7) Reboot (not sure whether this is required here but I did this just to be safe)

😎 Restart the installation from step 1) which seem to work now (even though the test page is not printed)

9) Final reboot and I found everything ok, i.e. printer accessible and scan application working, too

Hopefully this will help someone else with the same problem. The two important parts seem to be the manual printer removal and the IRIS OCR uninstall.

HP Recommended

The printer settings may be the problem even if the installation software finds your printer.

Prior to setting defaults on the printer web page, my installation found my printer and started the install but stopped after about 12% claiming a success, but nothing was installed. After I set the printer to factory defaults the installtion completed succesfully.

If it does not work for you, you must have a different problem

HP Recommended

This is a real problem for me.  I managed to get it to print after deleating and reinstalling the printer and driver a bunch of times.  However I can't get the scanner to work at all on any of my computers (including the HP norebook). The HP printing and scanning utility doesn't install at all.

HP dudes............ this is 2017 not 1984, you shouldn't be having driver installation issues.  I have the previous model an M 476 at my office and it works fine.  I've been a loyal HP cleint for many years and own a bunch of HP devices but if this isnt resolved soon I'll return it to Best Buy and get another brand.

HP Recommended

@dirtseller wrote:

This is a real problem for me.  I managed to get it to print after deleating and reinstalling the printer and driver a bunch of times.  However I can't get the scanner to work at all on any of my computers (including the HP norebook). The HP printing and scanning utility doesn't install at all.

HP dudes............ this is 2017 not 1984, you shouldn't be having driver installation issues.  I have the previous model an M 476 at my office and it works fine.  I've been a loyal HP cleint for many years and own a bunch of HP devices but if this isnt resolved soon I'll return it to Best Buy and get another brand.

I managed to get it to work.  First you need to uninstall the I.R.I.S OCR and the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 drivers.  Then remove the printer from devices if it exists. You will then need to restart your computer. I did is as a cold boot not a warm restart as this didn't seem clear out the leftover bit and pieces if I didn't.  A warm restart may work for you.  Once restarted install the software from scratch and it should be fine from there on out.  T

HP Recommended

I tried all the tips and tricks mentioned here while trying to get the Scan Application for install for the M426fdn

(which is the B/W version of the M477, uses the same installer)

They did not work for me. After literally spending a FULL DAY debugging this problem, including digging through everything the installer does with "procmon" (unfortunately did not help my understand what is going wrong here), I found that the Installer does not work if I previously had installed a printer with the HP Universal PCL 6 driver. Even on a brand-new freshly installed clean Windows 10 system it did not install the Scan App when I had previously installed a HP CP1515n with the latest Univeral PCL 6 Print driver.

Once I removed all printers from the system, including the CP1515n and its Universal PCL 6 print driver, I was finally able to install the M426/M477 software. Even then the installer only got to 11% but at least the Scan Application was now on the system and working.

HP, your installation software for the M426 Series and M477  Series is totally abysmal and has more bugs than features.

Please fix this! This even happens on a clean Windows 10 installation with just one other HP Printer with the Univeral Print driver installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.