Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a 5740 which is set as a remote printer wirelessly by itself in my home network.

Recently I encountered the message 'Printer is in an error state' when I press print & I discovered the print job will start automatically only after I have shut down the printer & restarted it. This has happened many times. I have tried using the HP Print & Scan Doc but this has not helped.

Appreciate your advice on the following:-

1. What is the cause for this?

2. Would connecting the printer via the USB port to my all-in one HP PC help eliminate this recurring issue?

3. If so, should I uninstall the printer software first?

4. Can I still print wirelessly from my notebook or mobile devices when the printer is connected via a cable to my PC?

Do I have to uninstall & reinstall the printer software from these devices as well?

5. When I reinstall the software, there come a final stage where it will ask me to enroll for the HP Instant Ink. As I have previously enrolled for the program, what should I do that will allow me to complete the software installation without duplicating another round of HP Instant Ink enrolment?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Chrissy_61,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer with a Windows 10 computer and you are needing to restart the printer to clear an "error state" so the printer will print. I would like to help with that.

There are as few different reasons why something like this can be happening. It could possibly be network or firewall related, or maybe even software related.

I would start by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor to check the installed printer software. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software issues.

You could also check to make sure that the printer's firmware is up to date. On the printer's control panel Home screen swipe your finger from right-to-left across the display and select Setup. In the Setup menu select Printer Maintenance, then select Update the Printer, and then Check for Printer Updates.

If the printer only has the printing issue with the PC and not with the notebook and mobile devices you could try following the steps in this support document - Printer is Offline (Windows).

If you are planning to use a USB connection between the PC and the printer you do not need to uninstall the software, you just need to remove the printer from Devices and Printers on the computer and then connect the USB cable.

You can still you the printer wirelessly with the other devices if you have a computer connected with a USB cable.

Lastly, you do not need to re-enroll with HP Instant Ink. You can close those windows when they open after installing the software.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Chrissy_61,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printer issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer with a Windows 10 computer and you are needing to restart the printer to clear an "error state" so the printer will print. I would like to help with that.

There are as few different reasons why something like this can be happening. It could possibly be network or firewall related, or maybe even software related.

I would start by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor to check the installed printer software. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software issues.

You could also check to make sure that the printer's firmware is up to date. On the printer's control panel Home screen swipe your finger from right-to-left across the display and select Setup. In the Setup menu select Printer Maintenance, then select Update the Printer, and then Check for Printer Updates.

If the printer only has the printing issue with the PC and not with the notebook and mobile devices you could try following the steps in this support document - Printer is Offline (Windows).

If you are planning to use a USB connection between the PC and the printer you do not need to uninstall the software, you just need to remove the printer from Devices and Printers on the computer and then connect the USB cable.

You can still you the printer wirelessly with the other devices if you have a computer connected with a USB cable.

Lastly, you do not need to re-enroll with HP Instant Ink. You can close those windows when they open after installing the software.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi rb011 - thank you for your advice in relation to my numerous questions.Much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.