Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@ghudson wrote:

@after reading the HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers list @ http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195 it states that my HP Photosmart 7660 is not supported for Windows 10 and there are no additional options.

Does anyone know of a generic or other HP certified printer driver that will work for the HP Photosmart 7660 printer with Windows 10?  I have had my HP Photosmart 7660 printer since 2004 and it is the best printer I have ever owned and I hate the thought of not being able to use this printer if I upgrade my computer to Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Windows 7 HP computer to Windows 10. None of the suggestions listed in the HP forums for using another driver with Windows 10 worked for me. Some did get the printer to print but all of the suggestions that would get the printer to print made the printer print extra pages and kept acting like a print job was sent to the printer. I then tried something different and it worked!

Below are the steps I followed to get my old yet faithful HP Photosmart 7660 printer to work as expected with Windows 10.

From the Devices and Printers page in the Control Panel…

1) Click Add a printer

2) Click The printer that I want is not listed

3) Select Add a local printer with manual settings

4) Select use an existing port and change the option to USB001

5) Click the Windows Update button to update the available printer and drivers list

6) Select Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

7) Select Printers: HP Photosmart 7760 series

😎 Enter printer name: HP Photosmart 7660

It is working for me with Windows 10 and the bonus is the advanced options are more than you will want or need. No thanks to HP for not offering a valid suggestion that works to their customers needing a Windows 10 print driver  to use with their old HP Photosmart 7660 printer.

To those of you who found this post and if my suggestion also works for you… Enjoy!

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure out how to prevent your printer from turning on and printing a few lines?

For me it prints four lines that are all the same:

GET  /DevMgmt/ProductConfigDyn.xml  HTTP/1.1

HOST:

Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended

Yes, i did.  Follow the instructions i posted ‎on 01-18-2016 03:57 PM to fix your problem and to get the HP Photosmart 7660 printer to work correctly with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thank you! My PS-7660 had worked fine even with Win10 Pro, which I have been running since it's release, upgraded from Win7. As I had set up the printer in Win7, using the HP recommended Deskjet 5600 as an alt driver, when I upgraded to Win 10, it still worked fine. Recently, just last week in fact, I had listed my printer on the Google Cloud Print service, and it worked fine there as well.

Yesterday, I tried using the Google Cloud Printer, and my 7660 had disappeared from the Google Cloud Printer list. When I checked my device manager, the printer was now listed as a Mass Storage Device with no driver. So I started over with the setup, but the Deskjet 5600 was no longer listed. I found no help on the HP support site, and their alternate driver list still showed the Deskjet 5600, but only up to Win7. How it had worked for the past 8 months, I do not know, or why it worked until last week is also a mystery.

Nothing on the HP site (except this forum) was of any use. I am happy to say that using YOUR procedure and recommended driver (PS-7760) the printer now works again!

Thank you again!! :OpenSmile:

​Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
HP Recommended

I have no idea who ghudson is, but they were a God-send to my prayers for a Windows 10 printer driver.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks ghudson for your excellent information on getting a HP Photosmart printer to work with a Windows 10 operating system.   Printer work perfectly!   Fortunately I found your post after getting zero help from HP.  Guess they would rather we get rid of an older printer and buy a new one from them.

HP Recommended

To the kind person who gave another forum member the answer in step by step detail on how to set up their HP Photosmart 7660 printer to connect with Windows 10 without a disk or knowing the correct driver, I thank you very much!!!

Your simple instructions just allowed me to set up my very own trusty HP Photosmart 7660 printer that is in excellent working order to connect on my new laptop with Windows10. I am even more grateful considering I had previously been on HP's OWN helpsite and was called by a nice enough person but declined when I was told it would cost me $69.00 to do so!!!!!!!! The nice enough person also tried to sell me additional software protection coverage for another nominal fee. Really???!!!!!

Thank you again to the kind person who helped me for FREE!!!!

SIncerely,

Vasto

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting this fix. I have followed all of your steps, but at step 7, there is no 7660 listed. It goes from 6520 series to 7760 series.  Do you have a solution to this? Thank you so much for your help!

HP Recommended

I believe that you misread my step # 7.  The 7760 print driver also works with the HP Photosmart 7660 printer in Windows 10.

7) Select Printers: HP Photosmart 7760 series

HP Recommended

You're right -- I did misread #7-- thanks for pointing that out!

So I tried again and followed each step and at the end got the message that the printer was installed and I could print a test page. Which I tried to do, but it wouldn't print. Do you have any more suggestions? (And thanks for replying -- I appreciate your help!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.