Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I do not see any of the options for the deskjets (970 or 990)  you mention in the Windows 7 HP printer driver options.  Did you just download the drivers from the HP support website?

HP Recommended

Apply the Deskjet 970cse driver as shown in this document.  The Deskjet 970 drivers are installed through Windows Update.  Once the Windows Update has completed there will be a number of new models listed in the Add Printer dialog.

DJ970HP.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I believe the first time I tried to update Windows my wireless connection must not have been working properly.  One I got the driver installed I found the trick was to install the printer on the DOT4 port.  I was having no luck initially, but switching the port did the trick.  I think this may have been in a previous post about the port, but I missed it.

HP Recommended

Bob, I'm late to this discussion, but  I've tried what you suggest multiple times, but I get an error message when I try to print. (it just says "pint error" no details).

I've just loaded W7 64-bit, if that helps.

The printer port should be LPT1, correct?

Walt

HP Recommended

Hi! I would concur. This fix works like a charm. Download the Photosmart 7200

driver and in my case I had to set the printer port to  Dot4 IEEE128.4. After I configured these

settings, it worked fine. I am running Windows7 64bit. I like this printer and did not want

to "upgrade" Thanks!

-H. Wolfe III

HP Recommended

I can't get to the screen you showed in your post.  I am using Home Premium.  Is your solution applicable to Pro?  On another forum, photosmart 8200 driver was said to work.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@walterph wrote:

Bob, I'm late to this discussion, but  I've tried what you suggest multiple times, but I get an error message when I try to print. (it just says "pint error" no details).

I've just loaded W7 64-bit, if that helps.

The printer port should be LPT1, correct?

The printer port will depend on how the printer is connected.  If you have a parallel cable it will likey be LPT1:, for USB it will probably be DOT4:.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@dhostetl wrote:

I can't get to the screen you showed in your post.  I am using Home Premium.  Is your solution applicable to Pro?  On another forum, photosmart 8200 driver was said to work.

The screen show is from the following:  Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, (select the proper port, probably LPT1: for parallel or DOT4: for USB), then click on Windows Update when the list of printers comes up.  This will work on any version of Windows 7.  

If this does not work please give some details of where it breaks down.

The Photosmart 8200 may work in some print modes but has some modes that are not compatible with the Photosmart 1115.  The Deskjet 970 is a much better match to the capabilities of the printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob

You are indeed a distinguished professor.  I took the wording of the first choice on the "add a printer" screen too literally. Since I had a USB printer and LPT1 was displayed, I never thought to scroll down to the DOT4 choice.  Once I did that, it all fell into place and I was able to print your response.

Thank you

David Hostetler

HP Recommended

Cant install hp photosmart 1115.

Every time i connect my printer it start automatically installing drivers and fails at some point.
Printer appears as "Unspescified" Photosmart 1115 cat get it ti show up in printers category. Where does win 7 ultimate even take thw photosmart 1115 thats its allways autoinstalling... can i somehow turn of auto install?

Edit: Got it to work somehow. Under device manager somehow installed  deskjet 970 drivers... dont ask how cause i dont even know... Im happy aslong as it works.

Thanks for these posts (Y)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.