Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PHOTOSMART A646

I have a HP PHOTOSMART A646 printer.  Trying to install software to use it I am told I need a driver for it. I am using

windows 10 64 bit and the driver is not available to download anywhere that I can find.  Does anyone have any advice? Any

help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bugzee

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you need a driver for your HP Photosmart A646 that supports windows10,

I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate solution I need a few more details:

Did you attempt using the windows built-in drivers as the A646 drivers aren't available?

If you haven't, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Set Windows Update to automatically download driver software

Open the Windows Device Installation Settings and confirm that your computer is set to automatically download driver software.

1. Search Windows for change device installation, and then click the Change device installation settings Control Panel setting in the list of results.

Device Installation Settings window displays.

2. Select the Yes option, and then click Save Changes.

Step 2: Connect your printer to the computer

Connect your printer to the computer with a USB cable or through your local network so Windows can detect your printer during the print driver installation.

Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard

Select your printer connection type and use the Windows Add a Printer wizard to install the built-in print driver.

Click here for more details and step by step instructions.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Install Wizard does not show a driver for the 640 series of this printer. So what now?

HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 64 bit

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart A646 that is in great working condition. I am trying to use it with a tablet that runs windows 10. I have the correct cable attached. I looked at your suggestions from prior post of same question. And I ran into the same wall. When my windows tries to automatically install the driver it states "driver unavailable".

In the same post, I saw the gentleman ask what now but the HP rep never answered.

What now? I also searched directly on the hp support site and the driver is not available. pls help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.