Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
CP 2025dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Got a new NUC computer and installed Win7.  Printer won't duplex any more.  Downloaded latest UPD. (May 2016).  Connected printer to network.  Hurray, got equivalent to Toolbox FX but still no duplex.  Printer config page shows Duplex ON.  When I try to print from an app (Quicken, TextPad etc) The only duplex option I get is Manual.

The Advanced section of printer properties in the various apps does give me the option of printing on my backside (which might amuse the guys in the locker room) but doesn't enable duplex printing.

Any ideas as to how I can get duplex printing back?  Moving to Win8 or higher is not an option.

F_O

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On Windows systems, the 'automatic discovery' feature used by some printer drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

If your model does not have a duplex unit fitted, then you can't do automatic duplexing; you can only do manual duplexing (assuming that the printer driver supports this).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

On Windows systems, the 'automatic discovery' feature used by some printer drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

If your model does not have a duplex unit fitted, then you can't do automatic duplexing; you can only do manual duplexing (assuming that the printer driver supports this).

HP Recommended

Wahoo!!!  That did it.  Don't know how I missed this.

I also disabled "Allow Manual Duplexing" which I believe to be necessary.

Thanks VERY much.  You've saved countless numbers of trees.

F_O

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.