Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 5740 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install my HP officejet 5740 series printer on my desktop so that I can use it over wireless connection. After downloading the software from HP site, The Network device installation connection failed with this message: Unsuccessful Network InstallationThe device was unable to be installed over the network . 

I have tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling, HP print and scan doctor etc.

My internet connection is through wireless. I have tried to use all the available step. Is there something else to do?

Juok1 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @juok1 – Greetings!

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

I understand you are having difficulty printing to your printer. To begin with, is your printer connected to the network? To confirm this, simply look at the blue wireless light on your printer control panel. If the light is blinking, then the printer is not connected and we need to get the printer connected to the network first. You can follow http://hp.care/2fr0hvs for instructions.

Once the printer is connected to the network, the wireless light will stop blinking and will be solid blue. Then try to install the printer again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hello Dvortex,
Thanks for your answer. However my printer is properly connected to my network. The problem is that I can't print from my desktop because it is refusing to connect with the printer. My printer prints from my mobile devices alright and through USB connection but I can't have USB connection as my printer is in another location I still want to connect via WiFi. Juok1
HP Recommended

Hello @juok1,

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to know that the printer is connected successfully over the network. The issue so is the problem while installing the drivers on the PC. Follow the below steps to assign a static IP to the printer and then proceed to the installation.

First, uninstall the current drivers installed, if any.

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.

Now, follow the steps below to assign a static IP address & disable the IPv6:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/Basic_Webpack_x64-40.2.1073-OJ5740_Basicx64... to download and install the updated drivers.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

@Dvortex wrote:

Hello @juok1,

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to know that the printer is connected successfully over the network. The issue so is the problem while installing the drivers on the PC. Follow the below steps to assign a static IP to the printer and then proceed to the installation.

First, uninstall the current drivers installed, if any.

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.

Now, follow the steps below to assign a static IP address & disable the IPv6:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/Basic_Webpack_x64-40.2.1073-OJ5740_Basicx64... to download and install the updated drivers.

Cheers 🙂

Hello Dvortex,

Thank You very much for your advice. I have followed your step by step advice.

Manually changed my printers IP address and confirmed it - changed the manual DNS serve to 8.8.8.8 in each box when I clicked ok the ip address automatically changed to something else, probably a built in security. Anyway the connection still failed after correcting this. Hence the issue has not resolved.

Juok1 

HP Recommended

Hello @juok1,

Appreciate your efforts. Let's try a clean install now. Follow the steps below:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to "run" window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

·         Now restart your computer again.

·         Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/Basic_Webpack_x64-40.2.1073-OJ5740_Basicx64... and install the software.

·         Select the connection type as wireless and continue with the onscreen instructions.

That should help. Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

My brother (who isn't very computer savy) was having issues months after using his HP5740 successfully.  It's a bit of a hike for me to drive to his house but I have tried everything to help get his printer back on track.  I finally saw this post and completed the steps up to "Enable IPv4 only".   I then installed the most recent software and drivers HP recommended on their website (OJ5740_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe) and voila!!!  I couldn't believe how much time I had wasted trying to figure this one out but I'm glad it was finally resolved because my brother was ready to buy a new printer!  THANK YOU!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.