Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Kazi,

OMG, that actually worked! I had deleted all the drivers again. When I plugged the cable into a USB, Windows went to work again installing the 8 devices for the 8710. Of course, nothing printed using this driver. I followed the steps via the link you referenced to install the Deskjet 990c, using the same USB port (USB002) as the 8710 had been "installed" on. They now look like they are sharing this. And printing works. Thanks!

What do we do now to get the correct printer driver installed and working with all its bells and whistles?

HP Recommended

@vonEsser

You're welcome. 🙂 I'm glad that the HP Deskjet 990c drivers worked. There could be something that is preventing the original drivers from being installed.

Let the Deskjet 990c drivers remain as they are. You could uninstall the original drivers (if still present in the computer) and then try this link: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.

Post the above steps, you may download and try to install the full featured drivers for your printer via this link: http://hp.care/2hfQQjb

Hope this helps! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi,

Thanks for the new lead. The Troubleshooter did fix a problem it found with a corrupted registry Patch key, so I re-installed the file you linked to. I was hopeful, because I saw a Printing status (only!, I think) but nothing printed. Subsequent attempts were back to the Deleting - Spooling status as before.

Since successfully installing the 990c drivers (while locally connected via USB) I returned the printer to the room where I want it to be, and reconnected it to the router. Then I tried to follow the steps to install 990c drivers for use over the network. I couldn't figure out how to do that. Any of the steps in the article you previously pointed to which have you select a non-local (network) printer do not give the option to select a printer as they do for a local USB connected printer. So I'm back to zero again. How do I install the 990c drivers for use with the 8710 over a network?

Failing this, where else can I look to repair what is obviously the one computer's problem? Is there some way I can compare likely mis-confugured settings with my new Win 7 computer, which works?

HP Recommended

@vonEsser

You're welcome. 🙂

The detailed steps to install Deskjet 990c drivers for network printing are mentioned in this link: http://hp.care/2bYE4kP

I hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi,

OK, that worked, except that the instructions don't mention that in Steps 10 & 11 (Fig. 5) you have to UNCHECK "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use." Otherwise it will just try to install the 8710 driver which doesn't work on my computer. With it unchecked, it gives the multi-mfr driver list again to choose from.

That said, I don't know what kind of access I have to fax and scan capabilities, but right now that isn't too big a deal since you have to be physically there to scan anyway, and I don't do a lot of faxing any more - but I do still need it sometimes. And I tried 2-sided printing, since it says that is installed, but on a 2-page doc it stalled with only half of the first side printed. That's not good!

Thanks for getting me at least usable. Now if we could just figure out how to get the proper drivers to install correctly....

HP Recommended

Hey there! @vonEsser, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

I have checked the specifications of this printer and drivers are not available for Deskjet 990c from HP.

Since this printer is a pretty old, HP has stopped making any driver for the printer.

You have to use windows built in drivers to get it working.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chetan,

If you read the whole string between your fellow employee Kazi and me, you will see that is exactly what I did. If you know of a newer, supported driver that will completely substitute for my OJP8715, which my Win 7 computer will not allow me to print to after installing its current driver package, let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi! @vonEsser, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please uninstall the printer drivers from your PC and install the basic drivers and check if it helps.

Link to install the printer drivers.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot,

No better luck with the BasicX64 version than the FullWebPack version. Just a repeat of all I've gone through with Kazi over the past week.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to check if there any pending updates for Windows. Try to install printer software again if the issue persists, recommend you to contact our phone support for further assistance. 

Good luck.

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.